Help with backswimmer in salt water pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 15x48 above ground

Postby on1wheel01 » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 16:26

Hey everyone. New here. First of all I have a 15x48 above ground pool.. I have a intex salt water system also. I have had it for almost 2 weeks, I initially put 110 lbs of salt in it as directed. But now I am getting a single water bug which I researched to be a backswimmer in every day or so but only one at a time. I am wondering what I can do to get rid of these buggers. I read you can use algicide but can I use this since im doing salt water. I know nothing about pool care. So any help is greatly appreciated

Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby CarG2 » Thu 20 Oct, 2011 18:40

I'm not sure if you ever resolved your problem, but I've had similar bugs too. They were only around for about 2 weeks and then they disappeared. I didn't do anything different to the pool so I'm not sure what made them leave.
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Help with backswimmer in salt water pool

Postby paulbest » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 22:15

In order to kill these aquatic pests, you must take away their food supply. We know that water boatmen eat algae and backswimmers eat water boatmen. So, we need to start by getting rid of the pool algae, and in order to do that, we must shock!

After you successfully shock your pool, take your pool brush and scrub down the walls and floor of your pool. This will loosen up any algae that has been growing and release it into the water so that the chlorine shock has a better chance of killing it.

The goal here is to get rid of the food supply for the water boatmen. Without the water boatmen, the backswimmers will have nothing to eat and will start finding other places to feed.

After you have shocked the pool, got your chlorine up and have been running your pool, make sure you get rid of all the bugs remaining. Since the bugs need air to survive you can use this trick to kill them once they are out of your pool…

how to keep them away?

After killing the food source, several steps will help keep backswimmers and water boatmen away. An algaecide, used as directed, will inhibit algae growth. Using swimming pool covers, spraying invading insects with a soapy water mixture to kill them and in the case of bees, prevent them from bringing back a crowd and other tactics will help. The most important thing, however, is to keep your water balanced with proper pH and chlorine levels. A quality pool water test kit, used constantly, is essential.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”