Newbie to Inground pools

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Cool Breeze
I'm new here
I'm new here

Newbie to Inground pools

Postby Cool Breeze » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 13:36

My wife & I just bought a house that has been vacant for 6 months and the pool (38x18 , vinyl, inground) has its own eco-system, complete w/ tadpoles, frogs, and thousands of gallons of dark green algae! Sooo where do I start? Any help, tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cool Breeze

thepoolzone
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: My pool is 18 X 36 inground, vinyl. I have a sand filter that I recently replaced with glass media. Sparkling clear and about 80 degrees today!

Newbie to Inground pools

Postby thepoolzone » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 22:38

Congrats on your new home and your new pool!
I would scoop out the living animals and drain the pool 3/4 of the way. Just close the skimmer line and put the filter on the back wash setting to drain the pool from the main drain. I say 3/4 because it is dangerous and can be damaging to your pool to drain it completely. If the remaining water is too bad to save then fill it up as soon as it is drained. Don't let the pool sit empty. The pressure of the water holds everything in place such as the walls and liner (if have one). We have a list of simple maintenance instructions

Shock the remaining water and refill the pool. Add start up chemicals such as metal out (if needed in your area), algaecide and shock, chlorine, etc.

Good luck!
The Pool Girl!
www.thepoolzone.com
Cool Breeze
I'm new here
I'm new here

Newbie to Inground pools

Postby Cool Breeze » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:29

Thanks pool girl!!!! :d

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”