Insatiable Chlorine Requirement

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Too Much Chlorine

Postby Too Much Chlorine » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 15:57

I'm new to this forum.

I have a 14.5k gallon vinyl liner pool and I use Chlor-Brite from Leslie's Pools.
I cannot get the chlorine in the pool above "0" per the test strips I'm using to check.

The symptoms are the following:
- Water is clear and looks the typical bluish tint that matches the general color of my liner
- In the evening, test the water with a multi-test test strip. Shows ZERO chlorine and ZERO total chlorine
- Add 1-3 pounds of Chlor-Brite. After an hour, chlorine level is at "3-5"
- Pool water turns what appears like a 'flourescent' color of GREEN however
- In the morning the pool color is back to blue and there is ZERO chlorine as shown per the test strip

I have repeated the above for the past week - and I can't get the chlorine to stay above "0".

Took the water into Leslie's Pool store and it shows no chlorine in the water. They told me to keep dumping chlorine in it - but its getting expensive.

Anyone had a similar problem - and if so what was the cause and how did you solve it?

Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 01:26

Leslie's Chlor-Brite is Dichlor where for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm. You should instead try shocking with chlorinating liquid or bleach. You also need to test using a good test kit. Get either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. I suspect that you are only measuring Total Chlorine and may have ammonia in your pool from earlier bacterial conversion of CYA to ammonia.

You can also do a bucket test to see how much chlorine it will take before it holds. 1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of pool water is 10 ppm FC. You have to use a test kit that won't bleach out at high chlorine levels, like the ones I recommended above.

Return to “Chlorine”