Pool Pump Not Pumping

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Crothall
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Pump Not Pumping

Postby Crothall » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 16:11

Okay, so I had a scare where I thought I'd have to dig up half my lawn to repair the suction line no my inground pool.
Long story, but basically that problem is solved, and a pressure test proved that my suction line is in great shape.
However.
Now I'm trying to re-start my system.
The pump won't prime.
I fill the resevoir with water.
I close the lid and seal it tight.
All the lines appear to be sealed properly.
But when I turn the pump on, it won't circulate.
I can see through the clear lid that all the water in the resevoir is sucked up into the lines, but no further water is being sucked in from the suction line.
Meanwhile, through the clear-ish lines I can see that the water is trying but not quite making it into the sand filter.
My pump SOUNDS normal - there are no different noises that raise an eyebrow.
It's always be a bit of a slow starter when the pump is turned on, but it's just refusing.
I've tried all settings on the sand filter, including just a bypass, but to no avail.

Does anyone know anything I can try, aside from buying a new pump?

Thanks!!!

cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Pool Pump Not Pumping

Postby cpo2go » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 23:11

The problem is probably the pipe where it is plumbed into the front end of the pump. As a test, try caulking around the pipe right where it goes in. This isn't a good fix but it will let you know if that's where the air is coming in. It doesn't matter what you use to do it, I usually will test with PVC glue because it will get sucked into the leak, if there is one, and seal it until I can come back and re-plumb a new piece in. Also, if you find this to be the problem, use CPVC going into the pump as this will not warp when the pump heats up. You only need to plumb in a CPVC nipple, a few bucks at any plumbing supply store. I usually use a 2"x 8" piece and cut it in half to have a piece going in and coming out to prevent pipe warpage.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Pool Pump Not Pumping

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:39

Crothall wrote:Okay, so I had a scare where I thought I'd have to dig up half my lawn to repair the suction line no my inground pool.
Long story, but basically that problem is solved, and a pressure test proved that my suction line is in great shape.
However.
Now I'm trying to re-start my system.
The pump won't prime.
I fill the resevoir with water.
I close the lid and seal it tight.
All the lines appear to be sealed properly.
But when I turn the pump on, it won't circulate.
I can see through the clear lid that all the water in the resevoir is sucked up into the lines, but no further water is being sucked in from the suction line.
Meanwhile, through the clear-ish lines I can see that the water is trying but not quite making it into the sand filter.
My pump SOUNDS normal - there are no different noises that raise an eyebrow.
It's always be a bit of a slow starter when the pump is turned on, but it's just refusing.
I've tried all settings on the sand filter, including just a bypass, but to no avail.

Does anyone know anything I can try, aside from buying a new pump?

Thanks!!!

It is likely you just have a bunch of air in the filter and you need to let the pump continue priming. I would recommend filling the filter withe water from a hose as well as the pump strainer before turning it on to help speed the process.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”