Pool Finally Clear!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
frustratedinNC
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 8-9 feet deep, around 20,000 gallons, sand filter, vinyl liner

Pool Finally Clear!

Postby frustratedinNC » Thu 30 Jun, 2011 21:11

OK...for those of you with Cloudy, but blue, pool water AND you have spent MONEY on top of MONEY...with no solution (like me). And you have Shocked the heck out of it and put algae solution stuff in your pool. Do this before spending anything else. This worked for me after doing everything else. It's worth a try! Took me 3 weeks and $200 before doing this simple stuff:

1. Unless you have tons of leave on the bottom of your pool...turn off your polaris!!
2. Clean your skimmer baskets and put about 4 chlorine tabs in each (if you have more than one, like me)
3. Leave your pump running NEVER Turn it off!!

You may notice some clearing...not alot, but some....the next day or so. Seriously...don't run your polaris! You may see some algae that has sunk to the bottom.
You may be able to vacuum to waste, but if your equipment doesn't work doe this:

4. Put skimmer basket liners in your baskets....over your chlorine tabs. Instead of using expensive liners, just get some knee-hi panty hose and use them. They will float to the top, that's OK.

5. In about another day or so, run your Polaris. That will get the algae at the bottom swirled up, but it will swirl up and be sucked into those panty hose (or liners) and will weigh them down.

6. Turn off your polaris and let the liners and pump do the work. You'll be amazed at how much the pump takes in the algae and how it clings to those liners. Shock the pool some more if you need to. Keep those chlorine tabs in those skimmers.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool Finally Clear!

Postby chem geek » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 10:30

The use of skimmer sock can help, but I would not use chlorine tabs unless your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level is low. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor pucks/tabs, they also increase CYA by 6 ppm. Higher CYA levels make chlorine less effective. Instead, use chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach. and Shock Your Pool. See this example of how even a severely fouled pool can be cleared by chlorine, filtration/backwash/cleaning and brushing.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”