pink pool!

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
jjleip11

pink pool!

Postby jjleip11 » Fri 03 Jun, 2005 18:00

I have just inherited an inground pool with my new house. It was a MESS when I opened it, but I have now gotten all the chemicals, etc...under control. My pond scum green water is now sparkly blue. However, now that I can see the walls, it seems there is a thin layer of some kind of pink substance covering the walls. I can rub it off with my finger (and it then looks white on my finger), but I can't scrub it off with a regular pool scrubber. What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it??? Thanks for any help!

Postby Guest » Sat 04 Jun, 2005 21:12

Hi,
Sorry, I don't know what you have going on there...but we have a similar problem.
Our pool was built last fall. We have done everything we were told to do regarding the pool & water...we have taken water samples in for testing every 2 weeks since day one...
Well, we began to finally use it last week, and we are seeing the white plaster turning brown!
Help.! ...we called the pool guy, but he isn't able to get here 'til next week :( I would appreciate any help.
Deb

staining

Postby Deb » Sun 05 Jun, 2005 12:30

I have had my pool for 11 years and never had this problem. This year the white plastic area are also turning brown. The steps, around the skimmer area, the intakes. Everything tests fine, I even took a sample to the Pool store for testing. Does anyone know what will take this off?? It looks like rust and was wondering if something like Lime away would hurt the water.
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Re: staining

Postby Guest » Sun 05 Jun, 2005 18:16

Deb wrote:I have had my pool for 11 years and never had this problem. This year the white plastic area are also turning brown. The steps, around the skimmer area, the intakes. Everything tests fine, I even took a sample to the Pool store for testing. Does anyone know what will take this off?? It looks like rust and was wondering if something like Lime away would hurt the water.

Hi, I have no idea but my husband and I are furious...the entire 'basin' has blackish streak lines and yes, there are some brown ares, too. We have done nothing, except had the water tested religously & followed ALL directions. When the 'pool guy' gets here this week, I'll let you know what he says :(
Pool Help

Pink pool

Postby Pool Help » Fri 17 Feb, 2006 13:32

there is a thin layer of some kind of pink substance

This is often referred to as pink algea. I read an article that put to rest this fallacy of pink algae.

It is a fungus and may be white or grey in color. It has also be called water mold by some sources.
MrBill

Re: staining

Postby MrBill » Tue 18 Apr, 2006 15:29

Deb wrote:I have had my pool for 11 years and never had this problem. This year the white plastic area are also turning brown. The steps, around the skimmer area, the intakes. Everything tests fine, I even took a sample to the Pool store for testing. Does anyone know what will take this off?? It looks like rust and was wondering if something like Lime away would hurt the water.

The best product I've foud for removing these yellow stains is ascorbic acid. It typically is sold in a dry powder format as a stain remover. Good Luck!

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”