Mass suicide by jumping ants

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Postby dalehileman » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 10:09

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9973

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7014

By the scores, leaping off the edge into the water. Well I couldn't let 'em just drown while each rescue is worth 5 points

I should explain how we score rescues. A lizard yields 100 points, a bee 15, an ant 5. A fly minus 1 but we're required to save it anyhow

But jumping ants? As it turns out they're actually flying creatures but somehow takeoff failed at water's edge perhaps because of wet wings or some other more obscure phenom

girl

Postby girl » Fri 05 Aug, 2011 14:39

I have been having this problem. These aren't flying ants. They do litterally run around, get to the pool edge and jump into the water. The question is why.
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

A possibility

Postby dalehileman » Fri 05 Aug, 2011 15:14

Hi Girl where is everyone else do you suppose

A correspondent has suggested that near pool's edge where the deck is wet, he is merely attempting to escape but of course he doesn't know which way to jump
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Mass suicide by jumping ants

Postby paulbest » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 22:21

Ants can bite depending on the specific type and it is a good idea to eliminate an ant population as soon as it is discovered. Getting rid of ants by a swimming pool will help make the pool area more attractive for family and guests.

tips on how to keep away from ants:

Remove any plants from the pool area for the time being. Ants can use plants for both sustenance and shelter and removing them will benefit you as you take action against the ants near the pool.

Crush any visible ants with a heavy flat object such as a fly swatter or a shoe to help reduce the ant population immediately. This will not get rid of the entire group but it can greatly reduce the ant numbers.

Mix 40 percent water, 40 percent rubbing alcohol and 20 percent dish soap into a spray bottle to create an ant toxin. Spray any visible ant mounds with the solution to help kill them. The advantage of the solution is that pets are less likely to get into it and it won't negatively affect your pool water if a small amount drips into the pool.

Place ant traps around your swimming pool to kill any stubborn ants that are not being affected by your other methods. Keep kids and pets out of the pool area while the traps are in place to prevent accidents. Once the ant population is gone, remove the traps.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”