Filter & Pump Problems After Attaching Vacuum Hose

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
e4yoli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground 16 x 32, gunite, d.e. filter

Postby e4yoli » Fri 15 Jul, 2011 16:13

I have an inground pool with a d.e filter. The pool was very dirt after this winter. I vacuumed several times and backwashed with no problem. I needed to vacuum one more time and after I attached the vacuum hose to the skimmer the filter pressure dropped to zero and the pump water dropped below the pipe but the vacuum still worked. However, I stopped for fear that I would damage the pump/filter. The filter works and there is good suction at the skimmer without the vacuum hose. I don't see any holes on the vacuum hose. There are some minor leaks at the plastic pump cover but they were there the prior times that I vacuumed with no problem. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be the cause and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 21:58

I suspect the rubber O-ring on the pump lint/leaf pot cover. It's a relatively inexpensive part. Change the O-ring and if the problem ceases, then you're golden.
e4yoli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground 16 x 32, gunite, d.e. filter

Postby e4yoli » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:28

Thank you TSH tech. I will try your suggestion.
Fltech
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Working in it. Hoping to start this winter when we slow down a little. But looking for advice.

Postby Fltech » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 21:10

Another possibility is the hose you are using to vac is clogged (stick or twig lodged on hose). Depending on what type of filter you might need to clean it out (different from backwashing.)

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”