Levels out of wack

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
outback99
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex above ground 15' X 48". I have the salt water conversion filter & pump. The liner is vinyl. It is resting on a dirt pad with a heavu duty tarp underneath.

Levels out of wack

Postby outback99 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:44

After 3-4 days of thunderstorms, my saltwater pool (above ground) is cloudy. I tested with intex teststrips, the manufacturer of the pool. The results are:copper- 0
free chlorine- 1
ph- 8.0
total alkalinity- 0
how can i get these adjusted to the normal levels?

cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Levels out of wack

Postby cpo2go » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 00:35

I can't tell you how much of which chemicals to add without knowing the volume of your pool. How deep is it and I can calculate. I would also need more current chemical levels.

I can say this based on your posted levels; chlorine and alkalinity are low, pH is high. easy to fix but need pool volume. You could also go to cpo2go.com. That is the web based water chemistry calculator I maintain. It will tell you what chemicls to add and in what amounts. It is free to use for 30 days.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Levels out of wack

Postby chem geek » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 01:58

Test strips are close to useless. It is impossible for your water to have 0 TA and a pH of 8.0. A true TA of 0 would have a pH of 4.5 or below. You really should get your own good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. Also, you can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosages.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”