Filter problems

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
hemoon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 48" x 24' above ground pool

Filter problems

Postby hemoon » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 19:18

HELP!!!!!

I have a EC-45 hayward, that is registering a 5 on the pressure gauge. I recently replaced the pool return with a new one, put on a new hose for the return that is a couple feet longer, and completely cleaned out my filter fingers and all. Before i replaced return i registered a 7 when i had new DE in the pump, and i was never able to push down on the bump because of the pressure. Now that i have done all these changes, i can now push down on my bump like the filter was turned off. Also, i cannot seem to get my water that clean. Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem. Thanks in advance Kevin

cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Filter problems

Postby cpo2go » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 23:33

A difference of 2 PSI isn't a concern, the water not being clear is.
It could be as simple as adding a little more DE. Have you tried that? The only way a DE filter can keep the water clean is if the grids, or fingers, are completely coated with DE. Do not over-do it, that's just as bad, but the proper amount is the key to them working as well as they do. Nothing filters finer than a DE filter but only if it's loaded with the proper amount of DE, no more, no less.
When you replaced to return line, did you increase it's size in terms of it's diameter? The couple of extra feet don't amount to much. An increase in diameter would account for less pressure, just as a step down in diameter would cause the pressure to rise.
5 PSI is fine on it's own. :)
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”