New pool owner - pool is light green

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
backwatered

Postby backwatered » Fri 05 Aug, 2011 18:48

HELP!!!!! i do not know any of the equipment, not real sure where the filter is, do know how to prime the pump, and thats it. pool is light green, threw in a bunch of chlorine tabs and turned on pump. probably could use some advice. thanks, backwatered

OakParts
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My Pool uses many different parts.

Postby OakParts » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 17:29

You likely have a sand filter, which looks like a large grey or black tub. It is probably one of the biggest items for your pool.

It was a good idea to throw in some chlorine tabs to try and get rid of the green tinge to your pool. The green colour probably comes from algae. It might be better to get some concentrated chlorine shock to help kill the algae. Keep the pump on for the time being, until all the algae is gone. Once the algae is dead, it should be a grayish colour. To clear it up you should you some clarifier product, to get rid of all the dead algae.

The chlorine tabs you are using would be better for general maintenance.

To prime the pump you would just fill the pump basket with water and then turn it on. If this does not work you could force prime the pump by using a garden hose in the pump pipes to prime it. I do know a lot of recent pumps are self-priming so it might just be a case of waiting a couple minutes.

Hopes this helps,

OakParts
preeti22
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby preeti22 » Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:57

i think unless you are not expert don't use chlorine tabs. or you will change unwanted water chemistry, that can harm to swimmers. chlorine level is depend on your pool size. so better to take help from any expert for some days. after that you can also do it easily.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”