Anyone ever used "No Mor Muriatic Acid"?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Henry_R
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: HOA Community Swimming pool built approx. 1971.
In-Ground, Plaster 34x18 3.5-6' deep, Sta-rite P2R A5D-120L pump, A.O. Smith centurion 1HP (uprated 1.25HP) motor,Hayward S244S filter(new 2011), Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bomine feeder; new replastered June 2010

Postby Henry_R » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 09:29

I've found this product online: http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... atic-Acid/ It says it's active ingredient is Sodium Hydrogen Sulfate 83.3%

Anybody have any experience with it? Pros? Cons? Does it work as well as it claims to?

BTW, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched the forum, but did not turn up anything.

Money talks!? All it ever says to me is "goodbye!".
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 01:02

Acid is acid. The only difference with the Leslie's product is that it is dry acid -- sodium bisulfate (aka sodium hydrogen sulfate) and that adds sulfates to the water. High sulfate levels may be bad for plaster (see this thread).

It is true that dry acid doesn't fume, but if that is a problem for you then you can get half-strength Muriatic Acid (15%-16%) hopefully at half-price and it should fume less than full-strength.

Whenever you add acid (or even chlorine) to the pool, you should do so slowly over a return flow with the pump running. Then brush the side and bottom of the pool where you've added the chemical to ensure thorough mixing. You don't want to damage your pool surfaces by having concentrated chemical pool at the bottom (both acid and chlorine are denser than water until diluted/mixed).

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”