Help with pool pumps

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kanrae

Help with pool pumps

Postby kanrae » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 17:44

I just moved into a home with a pool, We went away for a week to a funeral and when we came back the pool was really green and we tried and tried to get it back up to par and we were just failing, well we decided to empty the pool scrub it down and clean it out ( I am now reading that it was a bad idea ) Well when we got the pool almost empty we turned off the pumps to try and scrub everything out. Well when I went to turn the pumps back on they wouldn't kick over :( I don't know if we killed the pumps or if we are doing something wrong to try and turn them back on , they are hard wired into the breaker box and none of the breakers are popped, It is an inground pool with a liner we have a sand filter system for it and we are stumped on how to get it back up and running :( I am scared to fill the pool back up because if we cant filter it our even pump the water out because the pump/filter wont kick on we will be stuck wtih a green pool again , Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rickthespaguy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help with pool pumps

Postby rickthespaguy » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 10:54

Hello,
First of all, yes it is a bad idea to completly empty a swimming pool, the vinyl liner will tend to float upwards and when you refill the pool you could have BIG wrinkles, you may need to set a vacuum behind the liner while filling to keep the liner tight against the walls and floor. That aside, are the pumps making any noise? Be sure to re prime the pumps once the pool is full, this means open the pump lid and fill with water, this allows the pumps to have a starting suction and draw water from the pool, if no water is in the pump then it has an air pocket and can not pull the water through the pipes. Check for power at the pumps as well, remove the cap on the back of the motor and test for voltage at the moter. We can take it from there. :D
hbdiver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,000 gal 30mm vinyl in ground pool. 40 years old on my 6th liner. Installed last one on June 1 2011. Have a cartridge filter system with an [APURE1400]Jandy® AquaPure Salt Water Chlorination System (Up to 40000 gals). 1hp pool motor.

Help with pool pumps

Postby hbdiver » Sun 27 Nov, 2011 16:58

I wonder what happened to CANRAE? You offered advice and it must have worked and they went away. Curious. They could have said thanks.
zippy_gg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Old inground pool, not sure of the size because of the shape, 8ft at deepest end, attached spa. no heater (anymore), Hayward DE filter, Whisperflow pump about to be replaced with energy efficient variable speed.

Help with pool pumps

Postby zippy_gg » Fri 23 Dec, 2011 01:02

If your pump is like mine, a bad bearing will cause the motor to buzz but the impeller will not move.
Nothing a little kick on the side can't fix, at least temporarily, and your pump will start.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Help with pool pumps

Postby rosalind » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:47

rickthespaguy wrote:Hello,
First of all, yes it is a bad idea to completly empty a swimming pool, the vinyl liner will tend to float upwards and when you refill the pool you could have BIG wrinkles, you may need to set a vacuum behind the liner while filling to keep the liner tight against the walls and floor. That aside, are the pumps making any noise? Be sure to re prime the pumps once the pool is full, this means open the pump lid and fill with water, this allows the pumps to have a starting suction and draw water from the pool, if no water is in the pump then it has an air pocket and can not pull the water through the pipes. Check for power at the pumps as well, remove the cap on the back of the motor and test for voltage at the moter. We can take it from there. :D

Yes, I am agree that empty a swimming pool is very bad idea, the vinyl liner will lead to float to the upper side. For this you will required to vacuum the liner during filling the liner tight against the floor and walls. All above suggestion is very much useful. Definitely you will get solution of your problems.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”