Air in system

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
38dave

Air in system

Postby 38dave » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 04:42

I have a 10 year old pool with a liner and sand filter. The pump and sand filter are in a housing below the general level and the pump is slightly (10 cm) above the normal water level There are 2 skimmers and a hopper in the base of the pool. In the last 2 weeks I have noted that there is air in the system which is bubbling out of the 2 water jets. The pump filter chamber is not full and there is also some air in the top of the sand filter. Flow through the system seems to be ok and replacing the seal on the filter chamber has not solved the problem. I am wondering if there is a leak in the pipework which is allowing air to be sucked into the system. The pipework is below the paving surrounding the pool. Can anyone advise me how to proceed?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Air in system

Postby czechmate » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 17:57

The air gets back into the system during the time the pump is not running. The air leak allows some water to drop back to the pool.
It could be any seal, from the pump strainer to O-rings in the backwash valve gate, to bad connection on the booster pump hose connector. You can usually find it as a small sepage or a drip during the pump cycle.
It seldom happens in the underground piping, unless there was a severe ground movement, which in turn would produce much more significant water loss.
38dave

Air in system

Postby 38dave » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 06:07

Thanks for your thoughts. I am pretty sure there are no leaks on valves etc but there has been some settlement around one of the skimmers which I am suspecting as the cause of the problem. Do you have any experience of testing pipework for leaks by pressure testing or of the effectiveness of sealing additives?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”