Cracked filter lid

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
seminar1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25,000 gal in ground pool. 2HP pentair whisperflo pump downrated to 1HP with new impeller, SMBW2048 pentair filter.

Cracked filter lid

Postby seminar1 » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 16:07

I have a 20,000 gal pool with a SM-SMBW2048 model pentair DE filter and 2HP whisperflo pump. This combo was installed 6 or so years ago. Unit runs at 25psi and needs DE changed at 30psi. Last year my dome cracked just above the radius to the mating flange. I bought a new one for ~$200 (wow), installed it and it cracked last month (less than a year old). I called the pentair tech and he told me my pump had too much flow, so I replaced the impeller and downrated the pump to 1HP( I believe). In the meantime, had both lids weld repaired. Unit ran fine (20 psi) until a few days ago when the lid cracked again in a new location. Sure seems like a metal fatigue issue (Chinese matl?) or the wall thickness is too thin or a combo of both. I'm fairly frustrated now. This seems like a common issue, evidenced by the domes available on e-bay! Any comments? Recourse?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Cracked filter lid

Postby Guest » Sat 19 May, 2012 23:52

Hey Steve,

Turns out seems that we've got the same problem. Our Pentair filter for our 20,000 gal. pool started leaking badly tonight. I thought it was a loose mating flange, but after taking off the clamp, the bottom flange on the upper dome was sheared/cracked. We've had our pool for about 6 years and jironically, ust two weeks ago had to replace the pool main circ pump. Coincidence? You said you found some replacement upper domes on ebay? How/where did you check? I appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Bob Weber
Houston
713-594-0767

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”