BBB and Ionizer's

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
smoovie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36, vinyl liner, Hayward 200 sand filter, caribbean clear ionizer system

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby smoovie » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 11:29

I've been reading about this BBB method, very curious about this since I've inheirited an inground pool and really can't afford the costly supplies at the pool stores. My question.....I have a Caribbean Clear Ionizer system, can I use the BBB method with this? Apparently my father had a system of bleach and muratic acid and that was pretty much it. My TA is a bit low and I was going to go the baking soda way, I read that 1 LB of baking soda is identical to Alkalinity Increaser??? Also read that Borax is used as a PH buffer, is that true as well?

smoovie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36, vinyl liner, Hayward 200 sand filter, caribbean clear ionizer system

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby smoovie » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:28

I give up, I see that people read the posts, yet no one answers any questions. Guess this is NOT the place to get the help one needs. Thanks for nothing everybody!
rww

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby rww » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:39

I also previously used the Caribbean Clear ionizer. This summer I shut it off and used only bleach, muriatic acid, and baking soda based on guidance from this website. Easiest summer of pool maintenance ever! Crystal clear water, no algae at all. From here on out it's simplicity for me.

Sorry it took so long to answer. Patience is a virtue!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby chem geek » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 01:02

As was noted, you don't need the ionizer since that will just add metal ions that can stain pool surfaces and turn blond hair greenish. Read the Pool School for more info on BBB. You can read more details about grocery store equivalents to pool chemicals in this post. 50 ppm Borates can be used both as an additional pH buffer and also as a mild algaecide. 20 Mule Team Borax by itself can be used to raise pH.
diaslamasl
I'm new here
I'm new here

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby diaslamasl » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 02:49

I have a Caribbean Clear Ionizer system, can I use the BBB method with this? Apparently my father had a system of bleach and muratic acid and that was pretty much it. My TA is a bit low and I was going to go the baking soda way.
rww

BBB and Ionizer's

Postby rww » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 10:00

Your father has it right. Bleach for the chlorine, muriatic acid for ph, and baking soda for alkalinity. That's all it takes. Just shut off the Caribbean Clear system.

Return to “BBB Pool Care”