Hole in filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
StuffIt
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40x20
Purex filter

Hole in filter

Postby StuffIt » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:49

Hi,

I know very little about pools, but I need some help. I have a Purex SMBW 2060 DE filter (metal tank) which has sprung a hole in the tank. The hole is only a pin prick in size, but its enough that I have to prime the pump every time the pool is filtered because it is losing its pressure.

So how do I fix the tank? Is there a simple way to patch the hole?

Thx

TSH Tech

Hole in filter

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 03:03

Here's the lowdown: plan on buying a new filter.

Why?
A metal tank with a hole cannot and should not be repaired with a pinhole leak. A tank pinhole leak occurred because corrosive water has eaten away at the tank until it made a thin point in the tank and ate away a pinhole. There could be other parts of the tank that have become thin and are just waiting to crack or make a hole. Pool filters are always under pressure when they are operating, eventually, the tank bursts creating a serious hazard. I know of some tragic stories, the details aren't pretty.
As a pool tech in the industry, I cannot suggest any repair method of a broken filter tank because there is a high risk of it blowing now that it has a hole in it. The integrity of the filter tank is compromised. Please, for your personally safety, buy a new one. Lastly, please test your Total Alkalinity on your pool at least once a month or preferably weekly.
allclearpools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Hole in filter

Postby allclearpools » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 17:22

X2

Never ever repair a filter tank failure. It is for your safety and your neighbors!
StuffIt
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40x20
Purex filter

Hole in filter

Postby StuffIt » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 20:42

Thanks for all the updates. I will buy a new filter

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”