Black jewelery from water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
modust

Postby modust » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 15:15

Could you please tell me what in the pool water would cause my silver jewelery to turn black. Also burn the skin.

Thanks modust :cry:

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 00:45

Chlorine, Salt Water pool, a high acid level(alkalinity of 40 or lower) would tarnish silver very quickly, turning it black. Basically stripped it bare if it had any protective polish on it.

As for the burning sensation, since silver mixed with pool water doesn't make an acid. It's more than likely the actual oxidation process happening soon as the bare silver meets the oxygen in the air when you're out of the pool. I could see this happening with a salt water pool. Salt mixed with air oxygen on soft metals would give that effect very easily.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:47

Agreed, it's water that is too acidic. Check and adjust alkalinty first, then pH.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:11

modust wrote:Could you please tell me what in the pool water would cause my silver jewelery to turn black. Also burn the skin.

Thanks modust :cry:

Drain the pool entirely, and abstract any current debris. Work with an open, uncluttered pool space to examine where all of the Black jewelery from water may be in the pool.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 17:12

cpo2go wrote:Agreed, it's water that is too acidic. Check and adjust alkalinty first, then pH.

Agreed. Unless you care about your pool integrity, keep adjusting the pool water chemistry to accomodate your silver jewelry. Most people do the exact opposite.
ChloeP
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ChloeP » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 05:56

I've had this problem too. With regards to the jewelry itself, I was told to rub toothpaste on it and it worked, not sure how it works but my rings are shiny again :)
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 01:33

Yes, toothpaste is like a ultra fine grit sandpaper treatment, which gently scrapes away silver tarnish.

I made this entry again for a completely unrelated, yet related experience with silver.
Since my first post above, I have acquired silver bullion for reason which are off topic. However, along the way, some of the bullion received has been tarnished and since polishing and toothpaste cleaning is a destructive method of cleaning silver bullion, there is a method of removing tarnish without touching silver. It goes as follows;

- Take a ceramic or glass bowl, add a small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate(baking soda) and salt.
(Hmmm, type of water found in SWIMMING POOLS)
- Take a small piece of aluminum foil and place it in the bowl
- boil water on the stove, then pour the water into the bowl
- place silver bullion into the bowl
- within a few seconds, the silver will look fresh, new and shiney

So what is going on here? Apparently, there is a chemical reaction with the salt water that removes the tarnish on the silver, and forces it to attract to the aluminum foil.
Aha!! So, this could explain some burning sensations or other questionable characteristics when silver jewelry is in the swimming pool!
:P
Chloe

Postby Chloe » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:47

I've never heard that, might give it a try. I've heard about using vinegar and also ground chalk, which makes sense as that's in toothpaste I think?
Bryanne77

Postby Bryanne77 » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 13:22

:P
The soda and salt only worked, I am amazed and very grateful. I only bought the silver ring last week whilst away from home and was unable to return it.

Thanks

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”