Pump room piping for swimming pools

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
aft
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50 feet by 35 feet 10 feet deep
hayward tri star pump for filteration

Postby aft » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 00:34

I would like to use metal piping for the circulation pump, because the pump room is of very small size and the constricted space warrants the use of welded piping that requires much less space than solvent weld PVC materials. I also want to use pipe reducer fittings which are not there in PVC. I do not want to make abrupt reductions by use of reducer bushings.
Can I use welded black steel pipe and then have it hot dip galvanized?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:19

Use copper pipe. Steel is out of question. Iron is the worst thing that can be introduced to the pool water.Galvanizing pipe is like trying to walk on the water and trying to throw money in the drain at the same time.
Sure, copper may put some miniscule amount of metal in the water but there is millions of pools heated thu copper coils where superheated chlorinated water is stripping copper under much favorable process, yet when metal sequestrant is used it has no negative impact on the gunite.
One fact to consider, is the cost of copper and its involved labor and also in a case of repairs due to the freeze, upgrade of pump, change of cleaner pump etc., routing of piping is lot easier done by PVC.
Even the ocasional draining can be routed to intercept the sump pump to the waste drain and plugged afterwords.
aft
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50 feet by 35 feet 10 feet deep
hayward tri star pump for filteration

Postby aft » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 14:51

I could go back to PVC pipe if I could mount my pumps about 11 feet above the water surface in the Balancing tank (to which is routed the gutter drain and the make up water maintains the water quantity in it). The suction lift is not stated in the pump catalogues so I would like to ensure that the suction lift available for the pump is not exceeded. Furthermore, our swimming pool main drain pipe is 6 inches in diameter and this is reduced in size by the use of a bushing to connect to the pump inlet that is 1-1/2 inches diameter. So the pump elevation of 11 feet above the surface of water that it has to pump combined with the turbulent conditions due to abrupt reduction in pipe size might pose pumping problems. If metal pipe were used, the piping could be more compact and the entire layout (pumps, sand filters, water heater, chemical feed storage tanks, etc.) could all fit on the ground. But if I have to go back to using PVC pipes, the fittings are larger in size making it necessary to move the pump above the floor of the pump room which will give it the 11 feet height above water level.
Feedback about this scenario will be appreciated.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”