Tankless gas heater

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
richardspain
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: No pool, but trying to build one ...

Tankless gas heater

Postby richardspain » Sat 25 Feb, 2012 15:31

Hi,

thanks to all your help last year I built a small aboveground pool that has worked brilliantly and saved me a fortune. I am now looking for an economical way to heat it occasionally during the winter and give it a boost on the odd day in the Summer too.

The pool is small, just 2.5m x 3.5m and 1.4m deep. It is located in the Canary Islands so it never gets really cold here but in the winter the temperature will drop to 18-20C in the pool and I am looking at a cheap way to heat it occasionally so we can use it once in a while. I don't want to maintain the pool at a constant temperature but heat it to the temp we need once a fortnight.

I have been looking at household tankless gas heaters as a way of doing it with bypass valves so I can drain the water in them when not in use so the chemicals don't damage them. But I don't know if this is the best way or what size to get.

I have looked at various formulas, calculations on the internet and can't seem to work out what size I'd need. Would an 11L / Minute heater be sufficient or would I need something bigger?

Any advice or experience would be hugely appreciated. We can't use a solar blanket because we have a hard cover over the top to stop our blind cat drowning.

Thanks,

Richard

BudgetPoolCare
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Tankless gas heater

Postby BudgetPoolCare » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 03:30

i have used tankless water heaters in the past... you can do it you jusy have to make sure that you use shut off valves to regulate the water going through the heater and you might want to get somthing bigger than 1L per minute ... ( the more flow the quicker you will be able to heat it and the less power/gas you will use.
John75

Tankless gas heater

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:55

Hi! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool heaters at www.indoorpoolguide.com/heating-systems
ScooterGirl9988

Tankless gas heater

Postby ScooterGirl9988 » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 23:00

I'm sorry but I just have to say that I think it's very sweet that you have a hard cover to protect your cat. So many people would not put their cat's welfare above their own needs.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”