New pool help, liner or gunite

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Pike513
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: None yet looking into it

Postby Pike513 » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 21:59

Hey all we are looking to put in a pool and are trying to determine should we wait and get the gunite pool is it really more worth it. We only plan to be in this house about 10-15 years max and in Missouri pools seem to be way more than Phoenix or Texas. Gunite seems to be about 15k more...opinions?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 19:46

Pike513 wrote:Hey all we are looking to put in a pool and are trying to determine should we wait and get the gunite pool is it really more worth it. We only plan to be in this house about 10-15 years max and in Missouri pools seem to be way more than Phoenix or Texas. Gunite seems to be about 15k more...opinions?

Rule of the thumb is buying something that will last long enough to sell it later and recoup some money.
15-20 000 investment in the preowned truck is very common thing. And it will hardly stay in the same garage over 10 years. Pool is an investment that provides place to exercise, keeps kids close to the house and valuable addition to your backyard to enjoy almost daily in the season.
In the heat of the summer it is often the only reason to get out at all!
You must know best what can you afford, but properly maintained gunite will provide you with enjoyment and memories for years. The extra money spend may just save you from a bunch of frustration.
Consider hiring a friend to supervise the work from the dig to the plaster application. It will save you surprises later.
And do not skimp on plaster. Install Diamond Brite or similar. It is worth the extra 2 grand over regular Marcite.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”