Pump not Pumping

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Pool Pumper
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 700 sq ft surface 28,000gal, sand filter, 2" pump

Pump not Pumping

Postby Pool Pumper » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 16:14

This pool is an inground cement pool with 28,000 gallons of water. The pump & pool cleaner (Hayward) operate properly at start-up. After running about 45 minutes the pool cleaner stops moving. I have serviced the pump (open face impeller, 2" bronze pump; impeller to volute clearance reduced from 0.090" to 0.015" increasing efficiency) replaced the sand in the filter (Sta-Rite HRPB24 w/3.1 sq. ft. of filter area 47-62GPM; 250# of #20 Silica Sand) and I changed the water. Upon initial start-up (filter backwashed, baskets clean...) the suction guage registers 9-11" of vacuum and the filter pressure gauge indicates 11 PSI. When the system starts to decline the vacuum shows 5-6" of vacuum and the filter pressure gauge is now at 23-26 PSI. There is no air in the suction basket and the filter bleed valve spews water only when cracked. I shut the pump off, wait one minute and re-start and the system returns to normal start-up readings and runs fine. However, within a few minutes it is back to the state of decline and the sweeper is motionless. I have also used a Kreepy Krauly with the same results. I have serviced the plunger valve o-rings used in the backwash cycle on the chance that a bypass could have been causing recirculation without a positive result. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pump not Pumping

Postby mas985 » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 09:31

Sounds like your filter is just clogging up with debris. Are you trying to clean up an algae bloom? Also, is the filter a DE filter? You may need to clean the grids.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Pool Pumper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump not Pumping

Postby Pool Pumper » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 11:47

Thanks for the reply. The sand filter has constantly been back-washed since the replacement sand was installed. There is no evidence of an algae bloom. Very little debris is present and I continually clean and inspect the inline basket on the suction hose as well as the inlet basket at the pump suction.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pump not Pumping

Postby mas985 » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:39

It could also have to do with the sand replacement. Sometimes a lateral can break during the process.

But the only reason the filter pressure will increase like that is if something is getting clogged in the filter or there is an issue with the filter so I would focus on the filter.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Pool Pumper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump not Pumping

Postby Pool Pumper » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 17:57

I checked the laterals and they are pristine. The sand filter operates in a quasi non-mechanical state during normal filtration cycles. Does anyone know of an occurrence involving a sand filter that is properly sized, containing new sand that meets manufacturers spec and is in "good repair" concerning the internal manifolds/laterals that has initiated or was the source of a hydraulic mishap? I do not wish to start replacing components in an effort to remedy the problem without the benefit of proper troubleshooting to identify the source of the troublesome part or element.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”