Using pond water and rainwater to fill a pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ukpoolquestions

Postby ukpoolquestions » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:59

Hi there,
My parents in law have an outdoor heated pool, about 10m by 4m, in Kent, UK.

We currently have water restrictions in place in the UK (a hosepipe ban) that says you are not allowed to use water from the mains utility to fill or maintain swimming pools.

We really want to use the pool this summer so I'm trying to look for other ways.

Currently the pool is shut over and partly drained for the winter. It's not empty though.

They have a large property, which has 3 large ponds (15-20m across) which are all full - they are natural ponds, and don't have any fish or anything in - just a few frogs!

Here's my question:
I want to pump water out of the pond to top the pool up, and I was wondering what filtering system could be used. I have various submersible pumps, hoses etc from other projects, so I would have no problem MOVING the water - I just have no clue how to filter it.

The other thing I've thought about is rainwater - with a few water collectors on the house we could collect enough water to maintain the pool level when it drops due to evaporation (but there wouldn't be enough to fill it up properly). I'm assuming rainwater would need less treatment but does anyone know what would need to be done?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

BudgetPoolCare
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BudgetPoolCare » Sat 21 Apr, 2012 06:06

i have personally filled up customers pools from their dam/pond on the property... the only problem with this is that you have to make sure when your pump it you try to pump from close to the surface, just so you dont get dirt going back into the pool and you can filter this through a cartridge filter...
The most important this is to balance your pool 100% and get it checked at your local pool chemcial supplier through their computer testing system.

Regards

Budget Pool Care - Sydney
www.BudgetPoolCare.com.au

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”