Zodiac MX8, Baracuda T5 Duo or Polaris 360 or something else

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
dfresh4130
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: L Shaped Pool with diving board. 25000 gallons, 10' deep end and 3' shallow end. Chlorine based with auto chlorinator with sand filter and 1HP pump. 2 skimmers, intake ports in deep end and 1 vacuum port.

Postby dfresh4130 » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 15:20

Hey All,

It's time for me to replace my old worn out suction cleaner. I think it's an older Baracuda model; G2 maybe? Anyways, I have an L-shaped pool and live in Kansas. It backs to a heavy tree line and my biggest problem is leaves. It's a vinyl liner, dedicated suction line and no booster pump. It seems the Zodiac MX8 is hit or miss from most reviews I've read. I've read that pressure based cleaners are best for large debris so that's why I'm considering the Polaris 360. The T5 Duo seems nice as well, but not sure it'll work well on large debris. If I do go with a suction based cleaner I'll be sure to get an in-line leaf canister as well. The rebates on the MX8 and T5 are attractive now as well.

Anyone have any experience with these or other suggestions? Thanks

BudgetPoolCare
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BudgetPoolCare » Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:59

The best advise i can give you is if your old barracuda did the job then you should stick to buying the G2 model as this cleaner will last 10 plus years in the pool. The T5 pool cleaner is good but the actual body isnt as strong...
Now if you want better performance and your finding that the bara isnt picking up all of the leaves then you should go for a Polaris Cleaner as this will not miss a leaf and is able to pick up nuts and berries etc..

STAY away from the MX8 as they have had alot of problems with the turbine assembly and are unreliable. it looks good if you want to show it off to your friends.. thats about all you'll be doing with it though.

Polaris cleaners have more parts then a barracuda pool cleaner but performance wise is better.

Robotic cleaners are the Best on the market... but personally there is no point buying a pool cleaner where you have to drag it out on a trolley and then plug it on the powerpoint just to clean the pool ... might as well just vacuum and scoop yourself.

so i'd go Barracuda G2 or the Polaris 360, wouldnt worry about the booster pump model unless you like paying power bills for running another pump

Mario

BUDGET POOL CARE
www.Budgetpoolcare.com.au

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”