Frogs in and around pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 27' above ground pool that has been put "in" the ground. Only a foot above ground. Hayward pro series sand filter and hayward pump. When we bought the house the pool was already set in the ground. We replaced liner and all.

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Mon 07 May, 2012 21:47

Hi all,
New here. We haven't opened our pool in 2 years. We had a pillow in the center (above ground pool that was set in the ground) which quickly deflated once the cover was on. My son's dog ran across the cover this last Dec. and it gave way on one side, dumping everything on the top into the pool. We have worked very hard to get the pool clear and filtered. We had to give a lot of eviction notices to the frogs that were living on the cover for the last 2 years. Now they are LOUD as hell around the pool and diving in throughout the night and getting caught in the skimmer. While they were living on the cover they were never this loud! Is there a good repellent to get rid of these frogs? We have dogs and cannot put anything deadly around the pool.
Thanks for any help!!
-Darla

CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 27' above ground pool that has been put "in" the ground. Only a foot above ground. Hayward pro series sand filter and hayward pump. When we bought the house the pool was already set in the ground. We replaced liner and all.

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Mon 07 May, 2012 23:13

Hubby and I were just out there for the last hour flinging small and big frogs from the pool. It's kind of become a "sport" for us at night now. It's not in balance and the clorine is high right now. Why are they still diving in? They won't go away!
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Tue 08 May, 2012 12:49

Well, I'm getting the feeling that there is no "sure" advice on how to rid the loud little boogers! I'm going to try spraying around the pool with vinegar and water this evening then fixing some drinks so hubby and I can go frog-flipping tonight. That seems to be the only thing we can do - and it's fun too! :)

If anyone has any advice, please let me know!
Thanks again,
-Darla
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Tue 08 May, 2012 22:14

Okay.... so I see that people are viewing my post but not commenting. Kind of feels like a blog... but I will keep you updated on my progress/non-progress for those who may have this problem and are seeking answers too.
I tried the vinegar and it kept them at bay from the pool for about an hour tops! Then they were right back on the ledge.... males sitting there calling the females. It smelled like a giant Easter egg out there with all that vinegar! LOL We scooped out a BUNCH of jelly-like sacks with eggs in them this morning after last nights venture of flipping frogs. Tonight we flipped out about 12-14 with nets and threw them across the fence. At this point, I don't really care if they land softly or not. They are so loud and annoying in so many ways! I also put out some moth balls to see if that helps. Will update how that works tomorrow. We are getting more rain tonight, so I don't know how that will turn out.

Still waiting for answers,
-Darla
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Wed 09 May, 2012 00:40

I'm really surprised that NO ONE has commented on this... am I the only one with this problem???
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Wed 09 May, 2012 21:53

SUCCESS!!! The mothballs did the trick! I put them out just before it rained and by golly it worked! Not a sound at all tonight.... nice and quiet, peaceful sounds of the country! ahhh..... :-)
So my suggestion would be mothballs! Now how simple is that? Inexpensive... but not as fun as flippin' frogs! LOL
Good luck to anyone else out there needing this answer! :-)
-Darla
frogged

Frogs in and around pool

Postby frogged » Tue 15 May, 2012 22:47

We have the same problem. The noise keeps the kids up at night. Will try the moth balls.
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Frogs in and around pool

Postby CJsDoll » Wed 16 May, 2012 23:27

I'm sorry you are having this problem too, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!! They can be SOOOooo noisy!! When it rained for a few days the frogs were back and loud as hell. The mothballs are still out and now that it's dry again ... it's quiet again. I plan to put vinegar out once a week and mothballs or moth crystals out as needed. I hope it works for you and if you find anything else that works please post here to let me know too!I find it so strange that so many have read this but not that many have this problem or an answer to the problem.
Good luck!
-D
Weenie

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Weenie » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 01:22

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm headwind out in the morning to get moth crystals
Sandi

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Sandi » Wed 01 May, 2013 00:38

I have the same problem but no answer. I am listening to them now. Very loud and so many. All my neighbors have them, too. Will try moth balls.
Ihatefrogs

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Ihatefrogs » Fri 10 May, 2013 22:15

My window is about 10 feet from the edge of our pool. Needless to say, I cannot sleep with the racket the frogs make. Last night I finally was fed up. I grabbed a high powered flashlight, and went out with a pool net. As soon as I got within 15 feet or so, they all stopped croaking. But most of them just sat there on the edge, not moving. A few swam in to the deeper part of the rainwater that has collected over top the cover. I caught 10 ! I thought about throwing them over the deck but knew they would just come back. My intent at this point was simply to kill them. Use common sense here, if you don't kill them, they're going to mate and make more frogs. That's the reason they're croaking, after all. C'mon people, they're frogs! Not cute, cuddly, fuzzy kittens or puppies. I stepped on all 10 and there was no way they were still alive. To my surprise, after I walked around the pool a few times to check for more frogs, the frogs I'd smashed were waking up and hopping around! LOL! Walking around like zombies! I couldn't believe it. Luckily I was able to catch em in my net before they hopped over the deck or back into the pool cover. So tonight (caught 3 more) I just put them in a plastic bag and sealed it. Unless they grow claws or teeth, they're not getting away this time. 13 frogs in 2 days. Not bad! And now... as I write this... I hear... another....freaking....... frog..... :evil:
rammbo20

Frogs in and around pool

Postby rammbo20 » Mon 20 May, 2013 20:40

So I just put out moth crystals and the frogs just laughed at them it would seem. Was there anything special you did??

CJsDoll wrote:SUCCESS!!! The mothballs did the trick! I put them out just before it rained and by golly it worked! Not a sound at all tonight.... nice and quiet, peaceful sounds of the country! ahhh..... :-)
So my suggestion would be mothballs! Now how simple is that? Inexpensive... but not as fun as flippin' frogs! LOL
Good luck to anyone else out there needing this answer! :-)
-Darla

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Guest » Mon 20 May, 2013 21:50

I'm having the same problem. They are driving me crazy! I cant have a relaxing evening outside because they are soooo loud! Looks like i will be trying moth balls! Thanks :)
Christy

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Christy » Tue 28 May, 2013 20:54

Having the same problem. Another site suggested pouring rock salt around the pool????
analaya

Frogs in and around pool

Postby analaya » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 21:28

We have the same problem. Its only Ben bout 2 days and they are driving us nutts and I thought ur blog was very interesting and funny but I had to comment on this I didnt want u to think u had the only problem. I'm trying the moth balls Tom LOL thanx for the help!!!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”