No pop-up action !

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
azhikerdude
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

No pop-up action !

Postby azhikerdude » Mon 14 May, 2012 20:14

I have an in-ground pool with floor pop-ups which were working well until........this past Saturday, I removed, cleaned and installed the cartridge filters. After re-assembly, I started the pump, bled the air out of the pump and filter. Now the floor pop-ups aren't working and the amount of water flow moving through the skimmer is significantly less than before.

The amount of pressure at the filter increased from 30psi to 34psi after the cartridges were cleaned. The pressure at the multiport valve feeding the pop-ups is now zero where as before the pressure was ~ 10-15psi.

Added note, there is also a heater for the pool and spa.

What have i done ? Thanks in advance for your help!

azhikerdude
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

No pop-up action !

Postby azhikerdude » Tue 15 May, 2012 18:00

I'll answer my own post in the spirit of sharing so that if someone else runs into the same or similar issue, perhaps this will be of some benefit.

Given that the pressure was higher than normal at the filter and no pressure was at the 5 port Jandy Caretaker valve, one would surmise that the line between the two was clogged. I disconnected the water line flowing into the 5 port valve and turn the pump on for a brief second and out gushed some serious water flow. No clogged line. :) Next, unscrewed the pvc elbow between the line and the 5 port valve and behold, a clogged and brutally mashed stainless steel cup strainer. Me thinks me found the problem. Cleaned it up and bent it back into shape, re-installed and low and behold we have liftoff Houston. Filter pressure now reading 28 psi and 5 port valve pressure reading 16-18psi. Pop-ups are now doing their thing. I'll replace the strainer on my next pool store run.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”