Chlorine Generator causing cloudy pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Chlorine Generator causing cloudy pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:21

It is normal for an SWG to produce bubbles when working. I don't have an SWG so I can't speak from experience
Try collecting a sample and let it stand and you will see it clear up
You may want to check your numbers as this can be a problem as they need about 3000ppm of salt to work correctly

pool guy

Postby pool guy » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 16:11

pool guy here. low and high calcium levels can cause cloudiness from generator, 200 being low and 400 being high, 300 is the ideal mark to hit. second cause can be dissolved metals in the water, commonly found in well water. if thats how you fill your pool thats a likely culprit. treat your pool with a sequestering agent and within 3-4 days metals will be gone and cloudiness should stop
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:54

Use baking soda, it should help.
Manpreet

Postby Manpreet » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:38

Hey Mike,

Did you find the solution? My pool is doing the exact sane thing as you have described.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:53

Please post full water test results.
swim_spa

Postby swim_spa » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 15:08

Wow, I actually have the same exact problem too...our pool is about 3 years old and the water turns a cloudy white only when the chlorine generator is on. The water clears within minutes of the chlorine generator turning off. Someone mentioned checking the water content for metals and calcium...I'm going to give that a try and see what turns up. Otherwise, we've tried everything our pool professionals have recommended. Anyone actually find a solutions for this yet?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 16:15

As I previously stated it's quiet normal for the chlorine gas to produce bubbles when running. The fact that it clears when the SWCG isn't working confirms it
Try running at a lower percentage and see if that helps
CarThomas317
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gal above ground saltwater pool

Postby CarThomas317 » Sun 26 May, 2019 13:40

Did anyone find a solution to the problem? I am having the same problem. I’ve had an intex saltwater chlorinator for 3 years and always had crystal clear water. Like always, I shocked the water and ran the filter for two days. Today I took the cover off, filter running, no problem. As soon as I turned the chlorinator on the return jet became cloudy and affected my water clarity immediately. Took the chlorinator apart and cleaned the cell. Still cloudy. I don’t typically use cyanuric acid and have never had a problem maintaining chlorine level or water clarity, so CA level is low. pH, akalainity, chlorine levels, and salinity all good. Hardness is low but I have a vinyl liner and my understanding is that hardness range is relevant for concrete pools and otherwise only relevant if it is HIGH because it will cause scale on hardware. My hardness has always run low and I’ve always had crystal clear water. Do I have to replace my chlorinator? I’d love to know why this is happening. Unlike the others, the cloudiness does not immediately clear, it is not bubbles. I’ve never experienced the bubbles causing cloudiness phenomenon.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 26 May, 2019 15:44

The bubbles mentioned are a very fine fog usually, which takes time to clear. Posting water test results lets us look at where your water is at. You say you are not using CYA, that will mean the chlorinator working harder to maintain the chlorine level=possible more fine bubbles and definitely a shortening of the cells life. Salt not only provides the source for the chlorine (a gas) but also has a great deal to do with the conductivity of the water, less salt or too much salt can affect this.
Please come back with the test results (not from dip strips) as dip strips are practically useless.
Vinsan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x32, Hayward pump, filter, salt generator, t15 cell

Postby Vinsan » Wed 29 May, 2019 09:47

I had the same problem as just described. This is the 4th year and never have had cloudy water. Water testing shows everything is fine. So the last time I acid cleaned the T 15 cell was Aug 2017. Last year I cleaned it (twice) only using a hose so after running the pool 6 days this year and getting cloudy water I decided to backwash again and acid clean the cell last Saturday.
On Sunday the cloudiness was better, on Monday better still , yesterday no cloudiness and today after 2.5 hours it is still perfect.
Use a 4:1 ratio of water to Muraitic acid. For a t15 cell 8 oz of acid added to 32 oz of water is perfect. By a cell stand, mix in a bucket and pour in cell . Soak 5-10 minutes.
Rinse and reset timer by pressing Diagnostic Button for 3 sec.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 29 May, 2019 10:47

Did you read the part where they said they had already cleaned the cell?
Vinsan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x32, Hayward pump, filter, salt generator, t15 cell

Postby Vinsan » Wed 29 May, 2019 12:45

Yes I read that he "cleaned the cell" but how ?
Did he use acid or just water via a hose?
mgzych
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 29,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl lined, sand filter, SWCG

Postby mgzych » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 19:57

Thanks, Vinsan. Glad to see some anecdotal feedback on what has worked. I have the same problem and will try the cell cleaning with the muriatic acid. If I can mimic your results, I’ll share.

Mark
mgzych
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 29,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl lined, sand filter, SWCG

Postby mgzych » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 10:12

Sad to say that cleaning the cell didn’t help with my pool having this same problem. Used a muriatic acid solution to soak cell internals for 15 minutes. Rinsed and reinstalled...no change.

Anyone else?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 11:37

Is 15 minutes enough to dissolve a year or so of calcium?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”