Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20X40 9'deep
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:24

I have a 20X40 9' deep. 1.5" pvc lines. 2 jets. 2 skimmers. Hayward 244s filter and a new liner... It's an older pool, maybe 20 yrs old. It has a Hayward 1.5hp pump now that is on its last leg. I hate the noise it makes. Looking for a quieter, more efficient pump. Do I need to spend the big bucks on an Intelliflo or will a Whisperflo suffice? I will be doing the intsall myself.

pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby pirateslovebacon » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:45

I replaced a Whisperflo with an Intelliflo. There is a difference.

I have the Intelliflo running at two speeds. The first, the higher speed, is enough to run my vacuum cleaner and push water through solar panels on my roof. It is noticeably quieter.

In the evening I run at a much slower speed and you'd have no idea it was on.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:53

That's about all I would need extra power for: vacuuming. The only other attachmnet is a chlorinator. Seems like the Intelliflo has alot of bells & whistles I might not need. ? I've seen the videos on Youtube showing the power usage on the Intelliflo. Pretty impressive. I could also tell, in the videos how loud the old pumps are and how quiet the Intelliflo is.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:59

I reckon my next question is what size motor? I've seen them around $600-700 on Ebay but they're 3hp. That seems like too much for the 1.5" lines.
pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby pirateslovebacon » Thu 24 May, 2012 11:39

Sorry, I can't help you with sizing. I believe I replaced a 1.5hp WF with a 3hp IF. I think the Intelliflo only comes in one size.

With variable speed you can program it for your specific needs. I'm pretty sure my "high" speed is < 50% of max.

Make sure your controller can control multiple speeds, otherwise what's the point? I have Jandy controls and had to re-purpose one of my house lighting outputs for my lower speed setting.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Thu 24 May, 2012 11:44

When you say 'controller' do you mean the multiport valve? I have 220v running to the current pump/motor. I think the Intelliflo comes with 2" hookups for piping. It's easy enough to put reducers on.
pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby pirateslovebacon » Thu 24 May, 2012 15:44

By controller, I mean the computer that you program your schedules and desired temperatures. If you don't have an automation package then I don't think it's an issue for you.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Thu 24 May, 2012 15:49

Nope, no computer. I have a standard timer at the breaker box and 220v to an on/off switch at the motor.

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby Guest » Fri 25 May, 2012 01:04

I don't mean to interrupt good dialogue here, but the Intelliflo and Whisperflo need to be time controlled electronically with a dedicated timer system. If you still have the old "dial" timer, it will not work for the new 2-speed and variable speed pump motors. A dial timer will definitely not work for variable speed pumps either.

Intelliflo
Pentair has their own computer timer controller that "talks" to the pump motor to control the speeds you select and run schedule. I get the gist that you are budget concious here and would more than likely faint at the price of the Intellitouch Load Center. By the time you add up all the parts needed to put it all together, you could have bought a Waterway Econoflo VSA, which is essentially an all-in-one.
You have options with the Intelliflo. The Intermatic PE653RC works with the Pentair Intelliflo and Intellipro pumps. There is a connector port for Pentairs yellow and green network cable.

Whisperflo
This is Pentair's 2-speed pump. You will need to replace any "dial" type timeclock from a previous pump and install an Intermatic P1353ME digital timeclock for 2-speed pumps.
wendellb
I'm new here
I'm new here
hayward 244s sand filter
new 2012 liner
hayward 1.5hp pump

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby wendellb » Fri 25 May, 2012 07:38

Thanks for the 'interruption'! I'm looking for all the info I can get. Yes, I do have the dial timer at the breaker box.
Looks like, to stay in budget, I need the second option; Intermatic P1353ME. Where would this be installed? At the breakers or at the pump? It sounds like, with a more advanced system, I could do away with the on/of switch near the motor. ?

Whisperflo vs Intelliflo

Postby Guest » Fri 25 May, 2012 20:34

You would remove your old dial timer. The Intermatic P1353ME would need to be installed between the circuit breakers and the actual pump.
Your wiring diagram would roughly go like this:
House main breaker box----> pool sub-panel breakers--->Intermatic P1353ME---> pool pump motor
:!: Don't forget to connect your copper bonding wire also known as a dead ground. It's a thick bare copper wire that comes out of the ground, which then attaches to the side of the motor. This is a safety ground wire.

Located on the Whisperflo motor is a toggle switch. Inside the installation documentation there is detailed wiring diagrams that will show how to disable the toggle switch. The Intermatic P1353ME will do all of the motor controlling between high speed and low speed.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”