Leak between top of sand filter & multi-port valve (Hayward)

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
jer989
I'm new here
I'm new here

Leak between top of sand filter & multi-port valve (Hayward)

Postby jer989 » Sun 27 May, 2012 22:55

I have an older (probably 15+ years) Hayward sand filter with a top mounted multi-port valve. I noticed as I was topping off the water in the pool as I was opening the pool that there was a bit of a drip-drip-drip leak coming from where the valve and the top of the sand filter tank meet.

I then took off the clamp and belly band and inspected the o-ring the goes around the bottom of the portion of the valve that fits into the neck of the filter tank. It was a little loose (not super snug against the body of the valve) - but it seemed ok, and it was not cracked or damaged looking, maybe a little flat, but not too bad. I re-installed the valve on the top of the tank and tightened the band and it still leaked, even worse actually!

I tried a couple more times with the same results. Then off to the pool store, picked up some pool lube, and the guy sized up my old o-ring and I bought a new one. I also (while it was all apart) replaced the sand in the filter. Anyways - I VERY THOROUGHLY cleaned up the lip of the tank and the bottom of the valve that goes into the tank VERY carefully, lubed the new o-ring, got the valve back on the tank, wiggled it down, pressed down on the valve to get it as tight to the tank as I could. Then got the band tightened around the union of the valve and the tank. Turned the valve to RINSE, turned it on again, and again, water spurting out from multiple places where the valve meets the tank, as bad as ever!

Am I doing something wrong maybe? Does that belly band go on a certain way (one side is up, the other down?) - I did verify the band was catching the valve and the tank all the way around. I have inspected the top of the tank and the bottom of the valve and see no cracks or damage there. Is it possible I have the wrong o-ring maybe? The new o-ring sits snug around the bottom of the valve, it SEEMS to be the right one.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

long_n_lean
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' ABOVE GROUND Ultra Frame, Intex, 48" deep, SAND FILTER CP2000-S Swimming Pool Pump, 0.48 HP pump

Also, IN GROUND FIBERGLASS, 11' x 17' pool, Cartridge Filter, 1 HP pump

Re: Leak between top of sand filter & multi-port valve (Hayward)

Postby long_n_lean » Wed 29 May, 2019 18:18

Hi, your post is 7 years old, so this is a long-shot. I seem to be having the same problem, took the same steps as you. Still leaking. What did you do to stop the leak?

I added an O-ring to the existing flat rubber ring, now it's all too fat/thick to draw the collar close enough together to snug up the collar clamp. Next step (when it quits raining...) is to use only the new O-ring...but it's totally different design/shape than the one that came with the filter. But, with my filter, that means I'm going to have to remove (again...) the valve head, the center pipe-with-the-thnkg-at-the-bottom, which means I have to remove the sand, drain the filter, etc.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 30 May, 2019 09:22

Why when the leaking ring is between the filter and the valve have you got to empty the filter?
sktn77a
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15000 gal inground gunite/plaster (converted from concrete/acrylic). 1hp StaRite DuraGlass P2R pump, 24" Hayward Sand Filter, Teledyne-Laars 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator, Polaris 380 cleaner with Hayward 6060 booster pump.

Postby sktn77a » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 17:34

A bit late to this one (!) but I thought I would share my recent experience with Hayward filter leaks. I replaced my malfunctioning Hayward MPV with a new one and what I thought was a and original Hayward band clamp. Turns out is was an aftermarket CMP clamp and could not be tightened enough to prevent the leaking at the joint. Replaced it with an original Hayward clamp and no more problems. Go figure(?)

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”