replacing liner in old pool

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
jane

replacing liner in old pool

Postby jane » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 14:16

we have inherited a 20 yr old pool, 16x32 with 4' deep end. The liner is beyond repair - although good for most of last year - it is now too prone to holes. Need to replace. It is now drained half empty from a hole somewhere. Can we put a new liner on top, or do we need to drain and start again? Can you fit a new liner under water as was suggested? It is half above ground and half under.
Thanks
Jane

hrsdennis
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby hrsdennis » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 19:56

Jane, You will need to completely empty pool, remove old liner and prep for a new one. No other way. No way that is correct anyway. I have written articles about prepping pool for a new liner and installing an expandable liner. Let me know if you have more questions or if the links to these articles would be helpful.

Best of luck, Dennis
AG Pool builder for 35 years
Jane

Postby Jane » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 22:41

Thanks Dennis
I spoke to someone today who said that with old pools they often werent strong enough to take a new liner - that they buckle under the weight when you refil, and that was worse with a pool with a gradient. She made it sound as if we would have to replace the pool - which if that is the case means the pool will have to go - not an expense we can carry. The pool was installed by a DIY'er about 20 yrs ago I think. It is half buried half above ground. It will be a nightmare to take out. Has this been your experience - or are they looking to sell us more than we need?
Thanks,
Jane
jane

Postby jane » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 22:43

P.S. the links would be great, thanks
hrsdennis
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby hrsdennis » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 22:52

Hi Jane, What she said is a little bull and a little truth. There may be nothing left of your side wall or it may look like new. I have seen both at 20 years old. The only way to know for sure is to cut the liner down and examine the side wall. Post back here what you see or photos are even better.

Dennis
AG Pool builder for 35 years
jane

Postby jane » Sun 30 Jul, 2006 00:08

Well we finally bit the bullet and ripped out the old liner. WOW - the pool sides look like new and the sand base - although rather damp is fairly good - just a little work on that. Very relieved indeed - so hoping that we can safely reline. We have decided to get someone to fit the liner so we have some comeback if there are problems - is it worth it or should we try ourselves?
Jane

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”