Help please? Green Pool.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
xoxSierra

Help please? Green Pool.

Postby xoxSierra » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:56

Hello,
I have read multiple threads on this forum, but i guess i need someone to explain to me in simple terms. We have a 19' above ground pool that is about 10 years old. My girlfriends father has always taken care of it but unfortunetly he has passed on. Last year we had a company come open the pool for us but it cost $ that we dont have this year, so we are trying to open it ourselves.

About a week an 1/2 ago we took the cover off, as someone was supposed to come open it for us the next day. The person ripped us off and never showed. So they pool has been sitting uncovered in 90 degree weather for over a week now. Needless to say it is very green.

my question is- how do i clear it up, spending the least amount of $ possible? The owner of the house (gfs mother) does not feel comfortable using straight bleach. if someone could explain exactly what to do,step by step, in simple terms for me it would be greatly appreciated!!! I have never had a pool in my life, an have no clue where to even start.

Thank you!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Help please? Green Pool.

Postby chem geek » Wed 30 May, 2012 19:57

Read Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis or its shorter version Defeating Algae. However, the bulk of the chlorine you will be using will be chlorinating liquid (usually 12.5% or 10% concentration) or bleach (Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra bleach -- both are 6% concentration).
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Help please? Green Pool.

Postby rosalind » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:35

xoxSierra wrote:Hello,
I have read multiple threads on this forum, but i guess i need someone to explain to me in simple terms. We have a 19' above ground pool that is about 10 years old. My girlfriends father has always taken care of it but unfortunetly he has passed on. Last year we had a company come open the pool for us but it cost $ that we dont have this year, so we are trying to open it ourselves.

About a week an 1/2 ago we took the cover off, as someone was supposed to come open it for us the next day. The person ripped us off and never showed. So they pool has been sitting uncovered in 90 degree weather for over a week now. Needless to say it is very green.

my question is- how do i clear it up, spending the least amount of $ possible? The owner of the house (gfs mother) does not feel comfortable using straight bleach. if someone could explain exactly what to do,step by step, in simple terms for me it would be greatly appreciated!!! I have never had a pool in my life, an have no clue where to even start.

Thank you!

Well, As per my view infusion is a good option. No need to drain the the pool entirely. It will come out of the ground. Beneath the water 2-3 feet and enumerate fresh water to boost it back to the usual level. When full, run the pump 24 hours. You may required to diminish again if you are not making betterment.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”