Swimming Pool Misery

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Cabana
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon pool, vinyl liner, above ground, chlorinated

Swimming Pool Misery

Postby Cabana » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:52

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, so hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. I finally broke down and joined a forum after struggling with the same problem the last few summers. I almost posted in the Green algae forum because that's what we keep getting, but I think because the primary problem I can't seem to solve which is a ph/alkalinity balancing issue. So, of course, when we DO add chlorine, it never stays for longer than 24 hours anyway, because the PH is always too high or too low.

Here's the real dilemma: Every summer our pool alkalinity is somewhere between 180 and 240 to start. The ph will also be high, at about 8.0 to 8.4 or so. O.k. simple enough. I add in Myratic Acid to lower both, but when I add in just enough to get the Alkalinity to 100, even 110, ppm...... The PH always goes WAY too low, like about 6.5 low... an acid bath. I've tried balling it, I've tried pooring it all over the pool before, doesn't matter.

So, of course, I then put in some ph plus in order to get the PH back to normal levels so that it's not so acidic... what happens? Alkalinity goes back up too high, close to 180 ppm or so, then algae grows... even if we dump enough chlorine into it each week. Of course the chlorine isn't helping anything because the Ph issue never seems to get solved.

Can someone please help me to understand why our pool ph/alkalinity is so stubborn and never seem to get centered together? Is it even possible to raise or lower PH without raising alkalinity? Perhaps there is a way to minimize one or the other.

Cabana
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon pool, vinyl liner, above ground, chlorinated

Swimming Pool Misery

Postby Cabana » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:51

Today is a good case in point. I added the muriatic acid yesterday. So, I did a reading just now. I apparently added plenty of acid as it brought the PH down to about 6.6/6.7. The problem, of course, is still the same. It only barely phased the alkalinity, bringing it down, maybe 30 ppm, from 240+ to about 210 ppm. This is where I am at a complete loss and keep getting stuck. I don't dare add any more acid... but at the same time, I don't dare allow anyone to swim in it without bringing the PH back up to normal/balanced. I have a feeling that the high alkalinity problem is the reason the algae keeps coming back each year.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”