After 5 days pool still not clear.

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
mitchxhell
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 Inground pool, DE sand filter 1.5 HP

Postby mitchxhell » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 12:42

Hi all,

Just recently moved into a house in February with an 18x36 Inground pool, DE filter, Safety cover and all.
We were told that the pool hadnt been opened for 2 years and before that, it wasnt properly closed so it has alot of leaves. We scooped a bunch of those out.
We had the pool opened and found that the grid assembly needed to be replaced in the filter, which was done. At that point the pool was a dark murky green.
Ive been running the filter and putting in shock everyday.. when Im working we backwash and add shock 3 times a day. When I was off it was more like 5 times a day. It is lighter and I can see based on the lighter spots on the shallow end of the pool, where the debris sits. I'm at a loss where to go with this now. The pool company is coming back in about 5 days to check on the filter and whatnot again.
So its still a green color and Ive noticed that sometimes after backwashing thepool and adding DE to the skimmer, a bit of it blowsback into the pool.
Chlorine levels are fine, we have an automatic chlorinater, PH and Alkalinity are a little low but we have been adding water from so much backwash.
We've used, Algacide, LOTS of shock and clarifier.

Any help is appreciated, Im just tired of going to the pool place and being told to buy more things.

trlund
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18X33

Postby trlund » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 14:12

We had a green pool this spring and I thought it would never get clear. We are finally swimming and it is crystal clear.

We bought a sponge mop and scrubbed bottom of the pool and sides of the pool and it finally started to turn a cloudy blue after a day. We then backwashed 3 times a day just until water was clear, and ran the filter 24/7. We tested our water and it was good, except chlorine was a little high. But we were told to use twice the shock we normally use to kill. Once it turned blue we were told the algea was dead, and we needed to get rid of it. We kept cleaning the bottom by scrubbing and then vacuuming once the water was blue. And in about 2-3 days it was clear as can be. I honestly think the scrubbing made the difference, so if you haven't done that yet, I would try it.

We didn't use many chemicals other than shock. Only algeacide once. I think we did put some stablelizer in too.
mitchxhell
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mitchxhell » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 17:52

Thanks I'll try it out, I cant promise Ill reach the bottom of the pool on the deep end but Ill try to scrub the sides and bottom with just the regular sponge mop.
mitchxhell
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mitchxhell » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 21:12

Also: Noticed today that I get some blowback after backwashing and adding some new DE with the DE filter. Dont know if this is a problem or normal...

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”