Not opening pool this year

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
poolworries

Postby poolworries » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 17:07

I can't afford to run the pool this year. So it's just sitting there with the cover on. it's an inground concrete pool - pretty big with a curved shape. DE filter.

What do I need to do/buy to keep it hygeinic? - someone said I need to buy a pump and still add chemicals?? Also I know that there is quite a lot of debris in it from last year because a lot of trees and bamboo overhangs the pool and I didn't have time to net it out before the pool guys came to put the cover on and close the pool in fall 2011...

So that's the state of play. Things are getting hot here ...will the pool get infested with mosquitos??. Please I have no idea what I need to do and no money to pay someone else to do it. Also will probably have to sell the house soon so I don't want the pool to be ruined through neglect - it's such a worry..

Thanks for any advice.
poolworries

poolworries

Postby poolworries » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 17:47

I have found out some more information. I am told the following:

Mosquito Growth keep chlorine @ 1ppm
To stop damage to plaster keep ph levels @ 7.2 to 7.8
Keep alkalinity @ between 90ppm and 120ppm
Install an inexpensive sump pump to circulate the chemicals.

So what is a sump pump what kind do I need I where can I get one from - and how much should I expect to pay?

How often do I need to test the water weekly? monthly? And I suppose I have to take the water to a place that tests it?

When do I STOP adding chemicals and using the sump pump? I'm assuming I can just leave it sit over the winter?

Does a sump pump use a lot of energy? How many hours a day should it be left on for?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 19:09

Maintaining an unused pool is not about sanitation. It is more about detering the cost of expensive replastering which depending on the size of pool and the location could run from $3000 to $10000.
With all due respect Sir, if you have to ask about a sump pump cost the answer to your dilemma is not very easy.
Talk to a knowledgable pool man. Personal interaction will give you better understanding of your predicament.

Return to “BBB Pool Care”