Overflow from exit valve?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
qwertyjjj
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby qwertyjjj » Sat 07 Jul, 2012 02:29

New place has an infinity pool - however, there seems to be a problem with the water overflowing out of the big tank.
There is a big blue tank that is about 1.5m wide x 1m tall that has a ball valve in it like in a toilet.
Then there is the pump and a smaller red filter, which I assume is the sand filter.

As soon as you fill the system up with too much water, the water just starts running out of the overflow valve from the blue tank.
I have left it on circulation for the moment.

Do you have any ideas what I should do?
What does the blue tank do, do I need to isolate this from the rest and just have it running from the red sand filter?

Edit: I turned a valve and that seemed to self fill (blue tank has mains water inlet) so the inifnity started but there is still a tiny amount of water flowing out of the exit valve onto the street below. Also, the pool is not infinity at one edge of the pool - is there a way to make the water flow in faster so that enough water is flowing in to make it 100% infinity?

qwertyjjj
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby qwertyjjj » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 01:56

What happens is that I change the valve in the 1st picture and the blue tank immediately starts to go lower, the pool fills up and flows over the sides into the trough, but then the blue tank starts to fill up again from the water inlet, after about 5 mins, a little bit of water starts to come out of the exit pipe and keeps coming out.

Edit: also, when someone dives into the pool and sloshes water off the negative edge, the trough catches everything but then a whole load of water comes out of the blue tank's escape pipe.

qwertyjjj
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby qwertyjjj » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 04:46

anyone?
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 00:59

I'm looking at your pictures trying to decipher what the builders were thinking. Would have been nice if they marked everything or left a chart of how-to.

Infinity edge pools operate on two separate flow concepts, either they filter or they flow water for the edge system. In your case, you only show 1 pump, so your pool cannot filter and infinity edge at the same time and I beleive this is where you are running into blue tank overflow problems. It has to be one or the other. That's why there are a series of bypass and shut-off valves.

To get the full, faster infinity edge flow you mentioned, you have to close off filtration. So the circulation goes like this;

Pool--->trough---->blue reservoir tank--->pool pump---->into the pool
qwertyjjj
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:52

TSH Tech wrote:I'm looking at your pictures trying to decipher what the builders were thinking. Would have been nice if they marked everything or left a chart of how-to.

Infinity edge pools operate on two separate flow concepts, either they filter or they flow water for the edge system. In your case, you only show 1 pump, so your pool cannot filter and infinity edge at the same time and I beleive this is where you are running into blue tank overflow problems. It has to be one or the other. That's why there are a series of bypass and shut-off valves.

To get the full, faster infinity edge flow you mentioned, you have to close off filtration. So the circulation goes like this;

Pool--->trough---->blue reservoir tank--->pool pump---->into the pool

When I change the valve indicated, I left the pump on filter and the negative edge started - is that correct? Or are you saying I need to change it to circulate to increase the amount of water flowing through?

I think I also need to change the height of the ball valve in the blue tank as it has too much water because of this:
"when someone dives into the pool and sloshes water off the negative edge, the trough catches everything but then a whole load of water comes out of the blue tank's escape pipe."

How can I troubleshoot what each valve does so I can label them myself?
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 21:58

If you troubleshoot it yourself, you are basically going to have to shut valves off to see which combination works. However, I also see in your photos that there are some valves that need not be moved, as their purpose serves in case the pump or filter should fail and water flow needs to be closed off. The key to flow control appears to be in those two valves on the left side of your photo.

I took my "best guess" as to the correct combination of valve movement to switch between filter and infinity edge function.
Picture with valves labeled:
http://i49.tinypic.com/muvlhv.jpg

To run in Filter mode:
with pump OFF
1) Close valve 1
2) Open valve 2
3) Backwash valve set to: Filter
4) turn pump On

To run in Infinity Edge mode:
with pump OFF
1) Open valve 1
2) Close valve 2
3) Backwash valve set to: Recirculate
4) turn pump On

Try this combination. If for some unusual reason the pump is draining the blue reservoir tank too quickly, then set the backwash valve to "Filter" rather than "Recirculate". I don't foresee that happening, but just to be safe. The key with infinity edge water flow is the right balance of water coming and going.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”