Hi flow 1 1/2 valve failure on sand filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
shnomad

Postby shnomad » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 21:08

I recently had a heater installed and coincidently the sand filter valve quit working that day. when I ran the filter I found the water had been discharged to the sewer instead of back to the pool. I messed with it awhile and ran it again thought it was working but the pool became extremely cloudy. I don't think the water is being filtered. Something in the valve seems to have failed. Anyone know anything to look for or any info on these valves. thanks for any help
Its a pentair on a Tagelus filter

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:04

"Spider Seal" also known as the "Multiport Valve Seal" typically blow out on sand filter backwash valves. When that happens, water doesn't filter, bypasses or leaks out the waste pipe. Change that and you're back in business.

This isn't me, not my video, but the video explains how-to. Not the exact backwash valve model, but the concept is identical.
A noteworthy observation, the person in the video does not glue the gasket into the place. When I replace these I coat the entire backside of the spider seal with clear silicone seal because when these seals are not glued into place, they have a tendency to pop out of place and then everything inside the valve gets messed up again. To remove the old one if it's glued in, is I use a tiny screw driver and needle nose pliers to pull the old one out. Be careful NOT to mar, scratch or dent any of the plastic inside the valve. Take your time and just pull the old rubber out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJNxxnJAxQ
csleitch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby csleitch » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:17

The best advice I can give you is to contact a professional plumber so you will not worry yourself about your heater. He is the best one who can assess your problem.

service plumbing
ssmouton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ssmouton » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 07:57

Plumbing should be done by experts. Better call an expert because prevention is better than spending a lot of money in the future.

plumbing Australia
swneligan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: pump

Postby swneligan » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 12:35

why don't you try here http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com they might help.

bathroom plumbing sydney
poolboy_Crete
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: dont have one. but i clean many!

Postby poolboy_Crete » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 14:16

ssmouton wrote:Plumbing should be done by experts. Better call an expert because prevention is better than spending a lot of money in the future.

plumbing Australia

are we all not being a little bit dramatic here?

pvc pipework "plumbing" is hardly out of the realm of expertise of any pool serviceman.

to imply that a pool serviceman isnt an "expert" or competent enough to do this is quite frankly insulting.

also were talking about a multiport valve gasket here! its just undoing a few screws and replacing a part! it couldent be simpler!

excellent reply by TSH Tech by the way. said all that was needed to be said. how to do it, and that the person who asked the question can do it themself.
Michel15
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Michel15 » Tue 30 Oct, 2012 11:31

When I replace these I coat the entire backside of the spider seal with clear silicone seal because when these seals are not glued into place, they have a tendency to pop out of place and then everything inside the valve gets messed up again. To remove the old one if it's glued in, is I use a tiny screw driver and needle nose pliers to pull the old one out.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”