Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
chuckandtw
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Easy Set 18 x 48, intex pump and krystal clear saltwater system.

Postby chuckandtw » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 22:11

I have had my 8110 Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system for just over a year. Today, the electrolytic Cell starting smoking on the top where there large plug in is at. I run it in the evening when there is no sun on it. HELP!!!

texasdude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Metal Frame 48x18 AGP, Intex filter SWG

Postby texasdude » Sat 03 Aug, 2013 16:32

I have been dealing with the Error 91 issue for three weeks now. I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas and believe the problem to be thermal in nature. Our ambient temperatures have gone over 100 daily and only drop to about 80 at night.
Today, working an idea, I have gone from 1-2 hours max, to currently 6hrs.
I believe I may have come across the root cause of the code 91 error. I would like a couple of people to reply to help test my theory before I post.
My solution currently has NO modifications, but does require cover to be off temporarily.
I have NOT researched cost of resolution, but it should not be that expensive.
If you are willing to try to help the community, please respond.
This is NOT BS, I just don't want to post something that won't work.
RudyN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Intex ABG, 15 feet dia, 48 inch deep, with Hayward pump/filter and Intex SWG

Postby RudyN » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 12:19

texasdude wrote:I have been dealing with the Error 91 issue for three weeks now. I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas and believe the problem to be thermal in nature. Our ambient temperatures have gone over 100 daily and only drop to about 80 at night.
I believe I may have come across the root cause of the code 91 error. I would like a couple of people to reply to help test my theory before I post.
My solution currently has NO modifications, but does require cover to be off temporarily.

Well, let me know your suggestions and look into it. Our ambient temperatures here in Arizona are probably similar as in Ft. Worth, Texas.
RudyN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Intex ABG, 15 feet dia, 48 inch deep, with Hayward pump/filter and Intex SWG

Postby RudyN » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 12:58

texasdude wrote:I have been dealing with the Error 91 issue for three weeks now. I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas and believe the problem to be thermal in nature. Our ambient temperatures have gone over 100 daily and only drop to about 80 at night.

Another fact to remember is, with higher pool water temperatures the resistivity of the salt water goes up and the current flow through the cell goes down (triggering code 91). Had same issues a few years ago. To fix this (for the summer months) I added more salt to the water to increase the salinity by about 500 ppm. This might help most code 91 sufferers, as long as the pH and other water chemistry items are correct and no other SWG parts are defective.
Are we having fun?
mebobbob
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Ultra Frame 16', 1200gpm Intex sand filter, Intex SWG

Postby mebobbob » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 10:21

chuckandtw wrote:I have had my 8110 Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system for just over a year. Today, the electrolytic Cell starting smoking on the top where there large plug in is at. I run it in the evening when there is no sun on it. HELP!!!

its still under warranty. tell intex its a safety hazard, get a warranty replacement.
I've gone through 3 in a year and half! I couldn't find my reciept last year but the store I purchased from [Academy] was able to provide a letter to confirm proof of purchase and date.
georgiaboy001

Postby georgiaboy001 » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 10:40

Just started getting a code 91 with my Intex salt system about a week ago. We were leaving for vacation so I decided to deal with the problem when I got back. I tested the salt concentration and it was a bit low, about 2600 so I added some. Still got the code 91. I noticed that where the large black flat plug plugs on was brown and discolored, so I about came to the conclusion that the cell was bad. I took the cell off the unit, and the plates were clean, so I took my ohm meter and began doing some checking. It may be in this thread somewhere,(its a lot to read) but I had no continuity between one of the terminals where the plug goes and the outside plate on the one that was discolored. The other was fine. My unit was bought in May of last year, so I called Intex and talked to a rep and started a warranty claim. I thought this might be some good info on how to determine that your cell is actually BAD and not just dirty or having problems elsewhere. Measure ohms or continuity from each connector pole to the END of each of the OUTSIDE titanium plates. The middle one is not connected to anything. Also you should have 13.5v at the plug with the unit running as a lot of other people have mentioned. Just passing this along, my apologies if it has been covered elsewhere. Great forum, just found it dealing with this problem. I'm sure I will be using it for more pool information!
zorro11p
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30x52" above ground

Postby zorro11p » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 17:41

I've been struggling this year with this problem. This is only the 2nd year I've used it. I cleaned the plates and it worked for a week. Flipped the plug and it worked for a week. I do notice that everytime I disconnect the plug it's always wet. I think there may be a small leak that I can't find, due to pulling that big black connector off so many times. Where is the most likely place for this leak? Maybe the 2 terminal posts? :crazy:
zorro11p
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30x52" above ground

Postby zorro11p » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 17:53

Also ... this has been asked but not answered. What is the difference between a CS8110 and the new 54601EG. I'm temped to buy the new one. I can still find the old one and use my current one for spare parts.
mebobbob
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Ultra Frame 16', 1200gpm Intex sand filter, Intex SWG

Postby mebobbob » Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:27

For what it's worth to everyone, keep in mind that these things are very cheaply made, extremely low quality checks. As you see in these posts, different parts fail fairly easily. You may a good one, you may have the opposite. Use the warranty as long as you can!! I now have a collection of broken ones: corrosion on the board, cracked and leaky electrode module, who knows on the other one. I didn't have an operational unit until mid summer this year.I'm not handy with board soldering or very patient. It stops working and recommended maintenance/cleaning don't help? call intex for a warranty replacement. For the last several years, I'd guess most sold units are replaced at least once. It's hard to believe this is even a financially sustainable product!
That being said, is there a better value/quality for the money solution? nope.

Postby Guest » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 17:55

Pool Hacker wrote:If you have an INTEX 8110 Chlorine Generator that continuously gives you salt level codes that prevents you from continuing to chlorinate (when you have verified that the salt ppm is OK) you may be interested in a "fix." It requires a little technical aptitude, but it works great. I'll never go back to chlorine tabs or granular. I'll post the fix based upon the positive responses.
RudyN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby RudyN » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:43

Pool User wrote:
Pool Hacker wrote:If you have an INTEX 8110 Chlorine Generator that continuously gives you salt level codes that prevents you from continuing to chlorinate (when you have verified that the salt ppm is OK) you may be interested in a "fix." It requires a little technical aptitude, but it works great. I'll never go back to chlorine tabs or granular. I'll post the fix based upon the positive responses.

Good post, thanks. I've had many issues with the INTEX 8110 system over the years and after 4 systems and indepth system analysis, it came apparent that it will not work in the long run especially when used in a 'hot' climate, like Arizona. All failed systems (on my end) were suffering power supply issues, like blown recitifiers and transformers. Out of the 4 damaged transformers, I believe 2 of them were busted due to shorted rectifiers. There is no protection (fuses) between the two, which would prevent the transformer to be overstressed and fail.
I'm wondering what your issues were and what fixes you are suggesting. Please let us know, thanks in advance.
74charger

Postby 74charger » Wed 28 May, 2014 00:43

I had the same problem for two days. i noticed that the connection for the cell was hot and also noticed that there was an air gap inside the tube where the connection starts from the inside unit. i got rid of the air by tilting the unit and it seems to have started and has not given me a low salt error. i will see if this fix works.
Jimbochap

Postby Jimbochap » Fri 30 May, 2014 19:50

chuckandtw wrote:I have had my 8110 Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system for just over a year. Today, the electrolytic Cell starting smoking on the top where there large plug in is at. I run it in the evening when there is no sun on it. HELP!!!

Mine the electrlytic cell plug is getting really warm, no smoke yet, I justturned it off, until I know more about this problem...........what causes this and is there a fix.............read something earlier about flipping the plug over and running it that way?

What will that do?

Help, it's getting warm out and my kids want to swim.........
Jimbochap

Postby Jimbochap » Sat 31 May, 2014 10:15

Well now it appears to be smoking and leaking slightly, so I guess there is no sense trying to do anything with this one now and I am now getting the code 91 low salt and I know that isn't true. I just put 6 bags of salt in it.

Guess I will be looking for a replacement.

Going to call Intex on Monday and see just how good their 2-year warranty is. I believe I still have the reciept somewhere here.
Fisher

Postby Fisher » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 22:24

pool user brian wrote:the model i have is the 8220. I quess it is the same as the 8110, but in holland we have 220 volts, and in the us 110 volts ??? thats the only different i quess, because it looks completely the same. The problem i have is that it gives no error code at all. It seems that the machine is wordking normally, time is counting down and it even displays 93 when its finished. The only problem is no chlorine and the green led won't go on. It isn't broken, i've tested it. Because nobody had an answer, even Intex had no clue, i bought a new one today. And it has the same problem, so i quess the machine is allright but there is something wrong with the pool. The salt is good, the Ph is good, there is a good flow of water, what else can be wrong.

Have you manage to fix it?

Got the same strange issue this summer since the pool opening.
Last summer my Intex 8111 SWG worked flawlessly.
This year the pump is running, the power LED is green but the chlorine LED is not green and no chlorine produced at all. No error codes, no other issues. It runs for the programmed time and then goes to standby (code 93).

What I have tried:

1. Measured voltage on the cell (0V), on the rectifier output (AC 24V), after cell control relays on the control circuit board (0V).

2. Tried to rewired cell wires to bypass the control circuit board. This way chlorine is produced. This seem to prove that the cell is good and the transformer is supplying enough power to the cell.

3. Tried to swap all possible components (flow sensor, cell, control circuit board, rectifier, LED panel, power board) from another 8111 unit that had a transformer failure in the past. No change. The same behavior persists, no chlorine produced.

4. Disconnected the flow sensor. The unit gives correctly the code 90.

5. Measured pH, salt level, chlorine in the water. Everything is normal. The salt amount added is the same as the previous year.

It looks like for some reason the control circuit is not willing to enable the relays that give voltage to the cell. I would think that this is a control circuit board failure, but the board swapped from another unit of the same age (4 years) produces the same result....

I am lost ...
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”