Stabillized Chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
techguyxd
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stabillized Chlorine

Postby techguyxd » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 20:00

Hi,

I was thinking that if i use stabillized chlorine in my pool, the CYA wil go too high before the end of summer, where i will have to drain the pool anyway. If it goes to high it will need to be diluted. I cannot do that because i use well water, and i already had to remove all the metal from the water, and adding new water will put metal in again. Will stabillized chlorine put the CYA too high? Should i use liquid chlorine and add stabilizer manually instead?

Pool:
Summer Escapes Quick Set Ring 15' x 52"
Brand New Water with Metals Removed

*Also a another thing, my test strips are showing the CYA as 80ppm, even though I haven't added chlorine or stabilizer yet, it should be 0. Is this an inaccurate test from high alkalinity?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Stabillized Chlorine

Postby chem geek » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 20:56

Most test strips are useless. Get yourself a proper test kit -- either the TF-100 or the K-2006 from tftestkits.net.

The following are chemical facts independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So with a 2 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, Trichlor will increase CYA by about 36 ppm per month if there is no water dilution. You can use chlorinating liquid or bleach as your primary source of chlorine and you can add cyanuric acid directly to start up. This is more work since you have to add chlorine every day or two so you might want to do a hybrid model of tabs at a lower setting and chlorine every few days. Read the Pool School for more info.
poolfilters
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Leading Suppliers of swimming pool filter cartridges, pool filters, pool filters and pumps, pool filter cartridges, pool filter suppliers, Hayward replacement cartridge filters, grid filters, spa products.

Stabillized Chlorine

Postby poolfilters » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 04:50

Poolfilters.biz offers a large group of stabilized products.

Return to “Chlorine”