or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
tigana77
I'm new here
I'm new here

Dark Brown stains in a pebble finish pool, after adding salt

Postby tigana77 » Wed 01 Aug, 2012 11:02

Dear friends

I came across a stain problem which I've never seen before. For some years now, I run my own pool maintenance company and I have my share of problems, but this stain drives me crazy. The story so far: Two months ago, they called me to start working at a new pool, it's a pebble finish pool, something which is very rear to find in Greece. It's also working with a salt chlorinator together with a PH pump. Two weeks ago I wanted to add some salt cause it needed some fill up. I followed all the right steps before like : fixing the free chlorine to 1,5ppm, PH levels 7,4, putting the salt in 3 doses not all together and leave the circulation at a 24h circle. After one week at some of the areas in the bottom of the pool dark brown-yellow stains appeared. Talking with a lot of people I know, only one, faced the same problem once. Obviously it's a chemical reaction with the salt and the water, my friend advised me to lower the PH levels to 6,8-7, turn off the salt chlorinator, add tablets, to produce chlorine, to avoid algae problems caused by turning off the chlorinator and of course a lot of brushing, When my friend tried that after a few weeks the problem disappeared. Have you ever experienced something like that? If I analyze the water will that give me any info?

Thank you very much for your time and your help

With respect
Andreas

wadebosse

Dark Brown stains in a pebble finish pool, after adding salt

Postby wadebosse » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 01:02

Hi There,

Brown stains on pools walls and floors after adding salt are becoming more common these days. Several large hardware stores are selling very cheap salt that contains a lot of contaminates and metals along with very large grains of salt that take a long time to dissolve. When poor quality salt dissolves, it leaves a tea coloured brown haze on the bottom of your pool. The website http://www.thepoolstainremovers.com.au goes into more detail about salt staining. Thankfully, it is not hard to fix but it is not a quick fix. You need to remove the metals and contaminates from the pool walls with quality metal removers. Also, make sure you check your pH before you add salt. If the pH is high when the salt is added then the metals will deposit on the walls more easily leaving a nasty stain. Good luck.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”