Eco Spa Hot Tub - Error Code "P6" - Help?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 15:35

Anyone on here have any hot tub experience? I'm not familiar with Eco-Spa at all. The topside control was giving an error code of "P6" and the pump would not turn on. I started at the outlet. GFI is good, and there is 120V at the outlet. I have 120V going into the control box. I opened the control box and noticed a few dirty connectors, so I replaced them and Bingo! The error code cleared and the pump started up.

Great! Or so I thought. I noticed the pump power cord felt pretty hot after only running for a few minutes so I shut the power off and unplugged the pump cord from the control box. I noticed 2 things - First, the black wire had been snipped on both the male and female receptacles, so only 3 of the 4 wires are being used. Pump looks like its only running at low speed and not high speed. I also noticed heat damage on both receptacles, one of the pin s on the male ends was black at the bottom, and the female end has obvious heat damage as well. I figured I would replace the pump cord just to be on the safe side. The replacement cord had all 4 wires, so I wired it like a normal 2 speed pump. After replacing the cord, the motor ran for a few minutes then the pump made a clicking noise and shut off. I got the P6 error code again. I even disconnected the black wire from both the male and female receptacles and still got the same result.

So, does anyone know what the P6 error code means? I am also thinking the issue is with the actual motor, and not the power cord. Obviously the Hi speed is not working, which is likely why the homeowner had snipped the wire off at some point. I also got a reading of "121" on the topside, so not sure if this is a faulty temperature reading. I'm not real sure how to proceed with the repair. Any advise would be appreciated.

Control Box #03-0214

Thanks,
CG
Attachments
P1050780.JPG
P1050780.JPG (41.84 KiB) Viewed 14819 times
P1050775.JPG
P1050775.JPG (105.79 KiB) Viewed 14836 times
P1050773.JPG
P1050773.JPG (122.19 KiB) Viewed 14830 times

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 02:51

Before I begin, there are two codes that get confused with eachother; "P6" and "Pb"
On a digital display they look nearly identical, thus causing confusion.

121 degree reading is way out of temperature spec. Something must have fried.

P6 means it's a faulty remote panel. Usually a replacement remote panel will do the trick. "Pb" means its inside the lower circuit board mounted in that grey box just above the motor. Anything wrong in there means an entire circuit board replacement.

If it looks like your entire spa control computer system is going on the fritz, which they do, and or parts are obsolete, no longer stocked, I recommend a Balboa VS series as a replacement computer control and remote control.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:07

TSH Tech,

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! I don't work with a lot of spas, so the digital controls and boxes are a bit foreign to me. This is a service call for a home warranty company, so I'll have to see how much $$ they want to spend to fix this spa.

Thanks again,
CG
Gregg

Postby Gregg » Mon 08 Oct, 2012 22:14

Where can i order parts for the Eco Spas?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 08:36

Gregg,

Depending on what you need, parts for the Eco Spa can be pretty hard to find. Eco Spa is made by DM Industries, if you do a google search for DM Industries spas you'll find a few sites that carry different parts for Eco Spa. Depending on how old your tub is you may be able to find what you need there. Most spa repairs I do are pretty minor - I find most of what I need at www.HotTubParts.com. I don't live too far from them so I get my parts shipped to me UPS the next day. If you need a major part to the spa like the topside control or the circuit board - TSH Tech has the best suggestion of going with a Balboa replacement. You may have to tweak the plumbing a bit to fit it into the spa but for the $$ its probably the best way to go.

-CG

Postby Guest » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 14:38

Does anyone know what part I need.It is the left side black piece. Wire burned from this relay. Since Eco doesn't make parts anymore. Don't know what to order.
ksspaguy

Postby ksspaguy » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:51

That's a common problem. If the wire is burned it usually means the relay is bad. Is the ozone hooked up to that relay also? If the ozone shorts out it will kill that relay. Noticed your earlier question and thought you should know the reason the wire is clipped is because it is a single speed pump system. If you have any trouble finding relay let me know ksspaguy at gmail.com.
B-dub

Postby B-dub » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 10:38

I have an Eco Spa that when the temp reaches 83 degrees - the motor starts rapidly cycling on and off. My thoughts are the heater temp sensors? Anyone had this issue? How do you check them? Where do you purchase them?
Thanks,
B-dub
sailracer

Re: Eco Spa Hot Tub - motor relay

Postby sailracer » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 10:58

I have an Eco Spa Maui series that does not show a code. Show actual water temp; all seems to be in working order except for the motor will come on and then trip out internally. Not the GFI or breaker, although when the motor does come on and run for a while, it may trip the breaker at the box so there is it a load issue or is the relay on the motor from the board bad? I let it sit up for a few weeks while researching and tried to start it yesterday and it would not turn at all. No humming either. Just a board relay switching on and then off. Still no error code. Any thoughts?
Monkeysox12

Re: Eco Spa Hot Tub - Cant find the heater Help?

Postby Monkeysox12 » Sat 19 Nov, 2016 11:10

I have just inherited a eco spa from a friend but can't seem to locate the heater element for this tub any ideas

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”