Brown (rust) stains around jets

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
PhxWeasel

Postby PhxWeasel » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 19:13

I have what look like rust stains around most of my in-floor cleaner heads and various return jets. It's really bad down the side of the deep end where I believe the first return jet in the line is.

Pebble-tec pool, about 10 years old. We've been here about 1.5 years now.

It seems to me this happened after we moved in and had a service replace the sand in our filter. I don't recall their being stains prior.

We do have a gas heater inline. There is also an inline cholrinator, but I've never filled it. I just use 3" tabs in a floater.

I assumed it was rust from something in the filtration system, but the more I read on this site, the more I think it might be something else. What keeps me coming back to rust is that its only in the high-pressure returns/cleaners, not elsewhere in the pool.

Any thoughts/next steps to either confirm what it really is and/or remove? The water itself is crystal clear. I haven't found any correlation to chemical changes (like after adding acid or shock).

Thanks!

wboss71
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wboss71 » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:30

What you have is something that is not uncommon. While I cannot tell exactly what type of stain it is, it is most like in the metals family as you suggest. There is a gallery of pictures at www.thepoolstainremovers.com.au that might help give a clue as to what they might be. I removed stains around water jets for a lady only a few days ago using a dry stain removal compound. Don't worry it can be treated, there is just a knack to know how to do it without damaging your pool surface.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”