Algae Impervious to Chlorine

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Trafik

Postby Trafik » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 16:32

I have a problem with algae that is severely resistant to all treatments I have tried.

I made the mistake of buying a solar blanket to reduce my $400/month gas bill to heat my pool. The solar blanket works wonderfully but, while I was gone for three days, it turned my pool into a nasty pond. I use commercial-grade chemicals. I have repeatedly shocked the pool. I have used an oxygenating non-chlorine shock treatment. I have used a copper-based algaecide. Additionally, I have used two types of clarifier, hoping that I could get the green stuff to drop out. No luck, nothing works.

I have filtered the water 24/7 for weeks, no backwashing, as my pool guy has instructed. My filter is working overtime, running about 30lbs. Any suggestions?

Trafik

Postby Trafik » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 16:37

Oh, I forgot. My pH is 7.0 and my water is balanced, neither alkaline nor acidic.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 17:37

You need to shock the pool with chlorine, lots of it, and should use unstabilized chlorine for that purpose, but if your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) is high then it would be better for you to do a partial drain/refill to lower that so that you'll need less chlorine. Get yourself a proper test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. Then follow the instructions for Defeating Algae via The Shock Process.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”