Loss of Prime

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
larcrow

Loss of Prime

Postby larcrow » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 20:54

My pool pump (Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro P6EA) with an Integral Trap) has difficulty attaining the proper flow when it is started after being turned off overnight. The trap seems to lose water overnight and when it first comes on in the morning water starts to flow but at much reduced rate and just bubbles at the return in the pool. If I turn it off and then back on it does manage to start flowing although there are a tremendous amount of air bubbles for couple of minutes.
I’ve replaced the O-ring on the strainer lid and there are no apparent leaks around the pump. What are the other possibilities for a vacumn leak in this type of pump?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Loss of Prime

Postby czechmate » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 21:57

Check the seals on the backwash valve as well. Drip around the handle would indicate a leak where you would loose the airtight system.
larcrow

Loss of Prime

Postby larcrow » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 19:12

Thanks, I don't have a backwash feature and there are no valves in my setup.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Loss of Prime

Postby mas985 » Thu 21 Feb, 2013 16:43

The pump drain plugs can also be a source of air leaks. Also, valves (the type that can be dissembled) can sometimes leak at the o-ring.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Loss of Prime

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:49

If the pump basket is draining out - there's got to be a leak somewhere. Do you have any 3-way valves in front of your pump? These are a common source of air leaks. You could also check your pump lid for any small cracks.

Here's an easy way to test for any leaks in the suction line: When the pump has a full prime (or as close to full as you can get it) - turn the power off and on. If there is a crack in the pump lid, you should see the water squirt or bubble out when you turn the system off. Do the same thing and look at the 3 way valves (if you have them) and also take a look at the plumbing that goes right into the front of the pump. The valves have an o-ring the the top lid. If that o-ring is bad the valves can suck air while the pump is running and cause air to bubble out of the return jets. This can also cause the pump to lose prime when it is shut off.

-CG

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”