Trying to get a pool up and going

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
cdburkhart
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdburkhart » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 11:07

My wife and I bought a house with an in ground pool. The pool has been untouched for at least 1.5 years. It is still holding water, but of course the water is brackish, green/brown, you can't see the bottom (you can see maybe 18 inches down) and full of leaves/debris.

The pump still comes on, its off right now and has been off since we moved in.

Is there a way we can start trying to clear the water without the pump so we can at least get a glimpse of the bottom so we know when we get the majority of the crap out with nets and the like?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 20:27

The water is worthless and will clog up a filter anyway. Rent or buy an auxiliary pump and pump it out. All of it. As the waterline goes down, wash the walls with a hose. Pressure washer on low setting is the best.
That will get most of imbedded algae out.
Start filling immediately back, best wit 2 hoses. Do not stop filling until you are full again.
Take the filter can apart and if it is DE, hose down all media and replace the cover. Refill media as required by manufacturer.
If the walls are still dirty or discolored, add about 4- 5 gallons of acid and let pump run 2-3 days. Some may say that the acid will damage the pump. (I had 7 gallons in mine after fresh plaster and run it 5 days. It did not damage anything).
Add a sequestrant pool magnet to suspend metals. It is very important. If you have a heater bypass it during this procedure. You will be stripping copper into the pool water.
After 3 days add a Borax that you will find in Wallmart. Pool Calculator website will tell you exact amount you need to bring PH to desirable level.
Have a water test done than, to determine the CYA level. Don't add too much conditioner, The 3" chlorine tablets are protected with own conditioner and will start raising the CYA level anyway. If you have money buy Boric acid 50lb bag and you will have many benefits from it. Read what borates do to the pool water!Needs to be dissolved slowly in a warm water.
You can also add 5-7 bags of salt. It is good for the water and for your skin as well.
This will get you started.
Good luck!
WTF

Postby WTF » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 00:49

When you drain the water from the pool and you have algae on the walls do not pressure wash its a waste of time. Go buy 10 gallons of liquide chlorine and get a 2 gal plastic watering can, pour a gallon of chlorine into the pastic can and start pouring the chlorine down the sides of the walls from the tile down. Do not rinse it until you have poured all the way around the pool and the green algae has turned white 10-mins or so. When you start rinsing turn on the pump so you can get the mess out of the pool. Once you have rinsed down the walls you can start pouring down the floor of the pool doing the same thing. Once done you can rinse down the walls and pool a little more and start filling the pool.
Know without using the chlorine you will have a film that acid will not remove if you were to pressure wash the walls. The only way the film would come off would be in the future when the pool is full and chlorine is added and the walls brushed down with it making water needing to be filtered longer to cleanup.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 01:09

You live in Atlanta Georgia, or surrounding suburbs? Just to be safe, before draining the pool, call and ask one of the major pool service companies if draining a pool in your area is ok. Call more than one to get a better idea.

The reason is, in the Southern States, ground water and Gulf water tends to float things and an empty pool without a hydrostatic valve is just a big concrete boat waiting to pop out of the ground when the weight of the water is gone.

http://www.walb.com/story/21348679/home ... hpt=us_bn8
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 18:36

WTF wrote:Do not rinse it until you have poured all the way around the pool and the green algae has turned white 10-mins or so. When you start rinsing turn on the pump so you can get the mess out of the pool. Once you have rinsed down the walls you can start pouring down the floor of the pool doing the same thing. Once done you can rinse down the walls and pool a little more and start filling the pool.

Perfectly worthless advice.
Why?
First of all you cannot rinse ANY WALLS that are submerged. Therefore you rinse (even just with a normal hose pressure) as you go and by the time you got 1/3 of the volume out, your pump will not work and could be damaged. Never mind, that the skimmer intakes are empty, drawing air.
Secondly, suggesting to drain a pool by its own pump equipment is bad advice that will lead to pump damage without finishing the job in a first place.
Sure, pressure washing is not necessary, but if you have the equipment or can borrow it, it is fast, safe and reliable component in a process.
wtf

Postby wtf » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 15:25

You use a sump pump jackass so you can try and turn it around but most idiots know to use one and not try and use their pool pump. You know nothing about pools but what you read on the internet. Putting a sump pump in and draining a pool will not ruin anything but if you want to split hairs go for it. You suggesting pressure washing refilling it adding acid shows you don't know almost anything. As for atlanta and ground water it could be very true, other than that you dont know sh!t old man! I suggest taking care of your little pool and shutting your mouth.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 20:43

wtf wrote:You use a sump pump jackass so you can try and turn it around but most idiots know to use one and not try and use their pool pump. You know nothing about pools but what you read on the internet. Putting a sump pump in and draining a pool will not ruin anything but if you want to split hairs go for it. You suggesting pressure washing refilling it adding acid shows you don't know almost anything. As for atlanta and ground water it could be very true, other than that you dont know sh!t old man! I suggest taking care of your little pool and shutting your mouth.

You little piece of swamp crap, you must be eating king Salomon feces for breakfast every day. You also have the talent of a Nostrodamus and know all people here in a detail, what they do for living, their height and weight.
BTW, not in a single word you have mentioned an auxiliary sump pump in your original article, Mr. Expert.
As for your suggestions what I should do, please write it with a black marker on the piece of card board, roll it up and insert it very carefully in your rectum.
wtf

Postby wtf » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 07:17

Thank you for yor input. I will start lookin for a peace of cartboart as sun as i finish my brekfest.
WTF

Postby WTF » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 22:58

You stupid MFing baffoon I wrote "When you drain the water from the pool and you have algae on the walls do not pressure wash its a waste of time." meaning it is already drained!!!!
I don't care what you try and say old geezer you don't know sh!t and in no way are a pool superstar just by what you wrote about using acid moron. My suggestion to you, seek mental help before you hurt yourself or someone else with your bad advice.
WTF

Postby WTF » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 23:00

One last thing geezer FU
WTF

Postby WTF » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 19:32

WTF wrote: My suggestion to you, seek mental help before you hurt yourself or someone else with your bad advice.

It worked for me. I am speaking from experience here!! :roll:
wtf

Postby wtf » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 23:41

You live the sh!thole of the USA geezer nuff said enjoy your little pond.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”