My filter is leaking

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
psychonurse
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 plaster pool with salt system

My filter is leaking

Postby psychonurse » Sat 02 Mar, 2013 20:02

Hi,hoping you experts can guide me. I am out of idea's. I have a very large pool. It has a salt water system. Old school purex filter with the 8 or so grids that you remove to clean. I cleaned filter as usual. The 0 ring is fairly new. I replaced everything. Turned on the pump and bled the air. The most pressure I could get was around 5lbs. I notices a drip drip drip out of the top of the filter where the filter strap joins the lid to the filter.. Any suggestions to my problem appreciated. Thanks in advance Mike

TSH Tech

My filter is leaking

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 00:49

Is this an older stainless steel Purex tank?

Let's try something simple, hopefully it will fix it, if not, we'll go from there.
I carry a rubber mallet in my service truck for those occasional stubborn drips that don't seem to go away after tightening the band. FIRST, turn OFF the pump. Never tighten a band while under pressure Take a rubber mallet and just lighly pound the filter band shut where the drip is occurring. Then lightly pound around the band in the general area of the drip. Tighten your filter band just a little more. After that, then turn on the pump to see if the drip stops.

Just another note; 5lbs of pressure is about right after cleaning. I assume you had not added DE yet? Once you add DE, that should bump up around 10-15 lbs.
If it's 5lbs with DE added, then I would venture to guess you have a 3/4 HP pump, which is normal.
psychonurse
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 plaster pool with salt system

My filter is leaking

Postby psychonurse » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 12:38

Thanks for your reply.I'm off to harbor freight to buy the rubber hammer. I just looked at the pump. It say's 1.5 total H.P. I have put the D.E. in a pressure still reads just 5 lbs.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”