Baracuda G3 - sticking on main drain

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
flynnstone
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby flynnstone » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 21:43

Hello all,

New here, and have been trying to find a solution to keep my new Baracuda G3 from getting stuck on the main drain.

I have a 20,000 gallon pool, that has an in-ground cleaning system. I've recently added the Baracuda due to the issues i've been having with the pop ups keeping the pool clean. I've successfully calibrated the Baracuda, and have been able to get the flow set perfectly to 3 per the instructions, installed through the skimmer. The cleaner does a great job cleaning the pool, however the blue diaphragm on the cleaner has been getting consistently lodged under the lip of the main drain cover.

I have the ability through the valves on my pool equipment to turn the main drain off, however when i do that and test the flow, the flow has increased drastically.

Should I just turn the drain off and let the cleaner deal with the high pressure, or will that mess things up? I've seen recommendations for using the safety drain covers to prevent cleaners from getting stuck, however is there a particular model that works best?

Thanks!

BudgetPoolCare
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BudgetPoolCare » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 09:12

you should just turn the main drain off. the pool cleaner should have come with a bypass valve which connects between your vacuum plate and the baracuda hose.
adjust the setting on the valve so the cleaner is boucing around streadly if it goes too fast you will be buying alot of diaphrams.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:47

Hello Flynnstone,

I would agree with the BudgetPoolCare's response - Your best option is to turn the main drain off and use the bypass valve. Running the suction full power thru that cleaner will wreck it. If your cleaner didn't come with one, it should have. They cost around 40 bucks if you need to purchase it.

If the issue is the actual shape of your drain cover, there are lots of options if you want to replace it. Your local pool shop should have a few choices for you, and Amazon has loads of them. You'll need to measure your existing drain to get an exact fit. They can cost anywhere from 20-60 bucks depending how fancy you want to get. Check your local building codes before buying - some areas require that you have one of the "Anti-entrapment" style covers. If you have small children you'll want to make sure you have one like that.

-CG

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”