Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
tallypool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Emptying skimmer baskets

Postby tallypool » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 14:27

I have always turned off my pool pump before emptying my skimmer baskets. However, my pool repair man has indicated that in order to prevent the return lines from getting clogged, it is better to leave the pump running when I empty the skimmer baskets. Which of these two approaches is better? Why? Thanks!

TSH Tech

Emptying skimmer baskets

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 22:49

Technically, there really is no wrong way to empty a skimmer basket. Usually, if the basket is packed with leaves it's very difficult to pull the basket up with the pump running. That's the best time to turn the pump off and pull the basket out. If there's a light amount of leaves in the basket, pump running or not, just pull the basket out and empty it.

Now, as far as your pool repairman indicating the lines clogging up, I believe he's just trying to play it safe and ensure any debris flows through. The other possibility is you have some tree planted close to the pool that drops large objects(walnut, long seed pods, etc) and he doesn't want those to get clogged. I'm just speculating there, I don't know if a tree is an issue with your pool, but he's just giving safe advice.

In all the years I've been servicing pools, I've never encountered any problems with debris clogs of that magnitude. And I've had clients with all sorts of trees with large droppings including a citrus tree planted right next to the pool dropping oranges into the pool.

I would suggest, which ever way is easiest for you.
tallypool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Emptying skimmer baskets

Postby tallypool » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:22

Thanks very much!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”