High Filter pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 60 ....Hayward circulation system

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 14:26

Hi there folks
I need help with a problem of high...very high pressure 35 to 40 PSI in my filter system.
The insides are new as of yesterday but I keep getting a bit of air when I run the water through the filter.
If I by pass the filter there is no problem and circulation is great. Once I switch back the pressure starts at 20 and climbs to 35 40 with in 30 mins or so, with air bubbles seen through the strainer cap.
I have more problems with air using just the skimmer.
Question.....is the buildup of pressure due to the possible suction of air into the circulation system...! Also when I bypass the filter is everything good because the air is running right back into the pool.
Thanks in advance for any help..
Michael

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

High Filter pressure

Postby mas985 » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 19:57

The build up of pressure is probably because the filter is dirty. Have you cleaned it and does the pressure drop after you clean it? If so, then you probably have an algae bloom that is clogging up your filter. Kill that first.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 21:10

Thanks but its not that. As I said the insides were changed out yesterday for $250.00, so all is clean and up to speed in that area....thanks again
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

High Filter pressure

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 13:12

Mfour4,

When the insides of your filter were being replaced, did you (or the repair tech) check out the multiport valve? If the pressure is good when you set it to bypass, there could be an issue with the multiport, such as a clog in one of the ports. With the system off, you can take lid off the multiport and have a look in there. You may also want to replace the "Wagon Wheel" gasket in there while you have it open. Also, check the inlet and outlet pipes inside the filter just to make sure there's nothing stuck in there. It's a shot in the dark, but its worth a try.

The air leak is probably a separate issue, more than likely you have a leak somewhere in your suction line causing the air to blow thru the system.

-CG
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 13:44

Thanks CG.....Very interesting info..
I actually have just got back from looking at it.....every thing seems clear and the O ring is good. What I also did this morning was by pass the valves coming from the pool and ran a line directly from the pump to the pool.
That cleared up the minor air I am sucking from somewhere. Running it through the filter I had a pressure of over 30 psi still which I find high My wife suggested that I run the system without the grids which I thought was a great idea. It runs at 20 psi with out the grids Is that normal...?? ...as I thought it would be running at 5 or maybe 10. It does point to the multi valve doesn't it. We do hear a noise from the valve...minor to me when it is in the filter position. I must add ..being new to this all that last year I turned the lever with the pump on. Could I have broken any thing...though having said that the system ran well after all was cleaned.
Back to you CG...and thanks again.
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:34

Hi there ...
Just to post an update......at the end of yesterday I had back flushed again and opened, removed and cleaned the grids....!! As things stand now I can start up the system and it will run starting at 18 psi building up slowly to 35 psi after about an hour If I stop it for 10 mins...it will do exactly the same thing and run for the same time. I would leave it running at 35 psi except with so little circulation its not really worth it.
Any ideas...??
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

High Filter pressure

Postby mas985 » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 17:41

Sounds like an algae bloom and as I mentioned in my first post, the order of business is to kill algae first or it will continue to clog the filter. Follow these instructions:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-sch ... ting_algae
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 20:38

Hmm... Thank you.....that could be the case. So in other words after having put in new filters and since then back flushing and actually taking out the filters and cleaning and then adding new "Earth" could be helping.
the pool is much clearer but my pressure is still high. Maybe one more complete cleaning of the filters is in order here
Thanks again Mas
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 21:16

I must add that I thought changing the filters out would solve my problem, but from what you are saying ...that is not the case. If you have bloom it will clog up any filter new or old....until it is dead...and then beyond.
Thx
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

High Filter pressure

Postby czechmate » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:39

20 psi without elements in the filter can is not normal. I had it back in 70's on the brand new pool when the "plumber" connected the heater backwards, pushing the entire return thru the 25% bypass. Look at ALL THE CULPRITS THAT CAN CAUSE THIS. Too large pump, too small return fittings, not enough return outlets or clogged up, etc. 35 psi pressure is useless. Cycle is too long and the pump motor is working a lot harder. Have an expert to look at the whole system. Algae or clearing coagulation additive can rise pressure, but clean pressure without filter at 20 is too high, period.
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:36

Thanks for that note........out of my hands now. It will have to be an expert
mfour4
I'm new here
I'm new here

High Filter pressure

Postby mfour4 » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:52

Well after cleaning out the filters.....( removing them etc ) and starting up again pressure has remained at 20 since......all is good!!
Thanks for all the advice on this matter

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”