Hayward stops moving

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
hortaf

Hayward stops moving

Postby hortaf » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 23:21

Hayward suction vaccuum stops moviing after 5 to 15 minutes. Psi on pool pump shoots up around 11 psi from 5 or 6 and then vaccuum stops. So the higher psi the slower the vaccuum moves. When i first turn on pump the hayward moves really good and psi is around 4 to 5 and set to suck water from skimmer. Pool has only one skimmer. It has a drain but i set lever to skimmer only. If i disconnect vaccum hose from skimmer the psi's will remain high. If i turn pump off and back on without vaccuum co.nnected it works. Also, if i leave hose on skimmer and turn pump off for a while then on it works fine again for 5 to 15 minutes then psi shoots up again and vaccuum stops. Any ideas, suggestions i d really appdeciate it.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Hayward stops moving

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 17:12

Does the water drain out of the pump filter basket?
If so you will have a leak which sucks air in (check the O ring on the lid)
hortaf

Hayward stops moving

Postby hortaf » Mon 15 Apr, 2013 22:25

Hi there. I dont see any water coming out from pum p basket. I read other posts that an algae bloom couldcause this, but my water is clear. Also, as i mentioned water flows fine through filtration system until i connect vaccuum hose to skimmer. My filter is sand filter and there are no water leaks around filter or tubings that can be seen above ground. What can cause the pressure to rise after 5 to 15 minutes of vaccuumming?? I back washed plenty of times but same result...
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Hayward stops moving

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 02:45

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say
What happens is when it's put under load with vacuuming it will suck air in through any weak spot not leak out.
We had exactly the same issue and put a new "O" ring in the top of the pump basket lid. Silicone grease alows the top to tighten down further

When it stops keep it running and look in the pump basket to see if air has been sucked in there
When you disconnect the vacuum, switch off and then restart, the pump primes itself and all seems normal

Hayward stops moving

Postby Guest » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 08:52

I see. Ill try that. I bought the oring about a year ago. I checked it for cracks but seems fine. Ill add grease and retighten after test. Also, i noticed that the return jet furthest from pump bubbles intermittently. But the return jet closest to pump does not. Just thinking that if air is being sucked in both returns would bubble? Maybe not..not sure. The return closest to pump feels stronger than one furthest..this normal? Thanks for help.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Hayward stops moving

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:44

Hi

The air bubbles are indicative of air being sucked in
Air will rise to the highest point, so It all depends on your pipe runs. Where they "Tee" one could go up to the furthest and down to the nearest.

If the greased "O" ring doesn't sort it check for other possible leaks on the suction side, other "O" rings, union nuts or even a cracked fitting
Hayward Pump

Hayward stops moving

Postby Hayward Pump » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 09:30

The pressure seems to be great coming out of the vacuum. I just do not understand what can be done to get this thing going again. sometimes,if you flick the turbine with your finger it will get cleaner moving again.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”