Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
greyn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need help/suggestions

Postby greyn » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 19:12

Hi Everyone! We have an older pool, metal sides and rails, above ground obviously. It was here when we bought the house. Over the years the rails have rusted causing large chunks of rust to fall to the bottom of the pool. It seems to get worse each year. Short of having to take it down is there anything I can do to stop the rusting? I wanted to take the rails off but the bolts seem to have rusted as well so I don't think that will be an option. I'm afraid that if I try it will just make matters worse. Also I wanted to look into getting an automatic pool cleaner and wanted to know is that a good idea if there is rust laying on the bottom of the pool? The only way I can currently get the vacuum to pick it up is to take the hose off the vacuum head and use it that way.
Thanks for any help!

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Need help/suggestions

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 15 Apr, 2013 13:12

Greyn,

Your best option is probably to replace the pool wall. If your rails are rusting that bad, the rest of the structure probably isn;t in great shape either. If the wall of your pool fails, it can collapse and that rush of water can cause some serious property damage. If your pump and filter are still in good shape, you can usually find a decent deal on a "wall & liner" package, and replace the pool structure and liner. It should be at least a few hundred bucks cheaper than replacing the whole pool.

If you really want to spend the time & gas, you can check out some local pool shops, or even if there is a supply warehouse in your area (SCP, Rec Warehouse, something like that) you might be able to find some new rails to replace your existing ones. But - there are so many makes & models of above ground pools this is really a shot in the dark.

-CG
greyn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need help/suggestions

Postby greyn » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 06:35

Thanks I'm afraid that's what it will come down to. Pool replacement.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”